Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portland Porsche event

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 03:45 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Portland Porsche event

I was invited yesterday afternoon out to the track to "experience the legendary performance of Porsche automobiles on the track and on thte autocross course alongside our Porsche professional instructors from Porsche Driving School (www.porschedriving.com) They pointed out at the beginning it was not a DE type event but it sure was fun.

We drove :

Panamera auto cross
Carrera 4S track
Boxster S PDK auto cross
Boxster Spyder PDK auto cross
Cayenne Turbo track
Cayenne S track

On the autocross course I had John Groom as my instructor in the Boxster like mine. For those not knowing, him, he has won the Daytona 24 Hour 4 times- I think they said. I don't think I scared him and he gave me a tip in one turn to ease off the gas and let the car settle, rather than turn in more giving it more gas. I thanked him for the ride, driving tips and allowing me to burn up his tires. He said- "Not his tires" with a smile.

In the Panamera on the auto cross course, the instructor asked me to not go so fast as I was burning up the tires!

On the track there were two participants in each vehicle following an instructor who set the pace. Here we drove the Carrera 4S, Cayenne Turbo and Cayenne S. On the back straight, after driving the Turbo, in the S, I thought there was something wrong with the engine as we were just not going fast enough (no turbo, so no kick in the back!) Then they had the instructors doing hot laps in the Cayenne Turbo and Panamera with 3 participants riding along. I was sitting in right back seat to see the speedometer. From standing start in the Cayenne, we did about 120 before braking for the chicane. The Panamera did about 110 and was quite impressive what the "base" model does. The Panamera would easily gap the Cayenne in the turns. This instructor had no concern for the tires like the Canadian had! All in all a fun time. All the instructors where quite professional, knowledgable, and cool! It was very nice of Sunset to invite me to this event.

Quick Reply: Portland Porsche event