Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Bose option worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is the Bose option worth it?

I normally hate Bose stuff, but am wondering if the upgraded audio option is worth it in these cars.

I know, I know, sound quality is very subjective, only I can tell, I should go audition, etc... I'm just curious to hear people's opinion.

Oh, and I know we shouldn't be listening to the stereo and should be listening to the engine. Still, I'd like to hear (no pun intended) from those who have heard both the base and Bose setups as to the differences.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I haven't listened to the base system, but the conventional wisdom I have gleaned from others is that if you are an audiophile, and/or plan on putting in your own headunit/speakers anyway, then you probably don't want to pay for the Bose option. If all you do is listen to talk radio, or the engine, then the base unit is probably fine.

I personally think the Bose sounds pretty good (given the acoustics within a Cayman) once you do the commonly performed subwoofer stuffing modification (which takes about 30 min to do yourself). See link from P-9:
http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/elec...nd-system.html
Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All Porsches from MY 03+ have been built with MOST (plastic optical fiber interconnect) based infotainment devices. This makes aftermarket options very very limited, unless you replace both amp and head unit together.

There is no magic in the Bose transducers, nor it is a subwoofer (it is simply a ported bass enclosure with small transducers, hence the lack of response much below 100Hz).

The Bose 'sound' is the result of the Bose EQ, which is generated in the amplifier's DSP. This isnoften described as 'all highs, no lows'.

If you are the kind of person who likes to keep things all OEM, then you will likely order the Bose option.
If you are unhappy with the head unit interface, navigation, etc, then you will probably just install yournown headunit, amp, nave and probably new transducers.

The infotainment design is nearly identical between the Carrera/Boxster and Cayenne, so there are many threads in the various forums discussing and displaying audio upgrades which are applicable to the Cayman.

IHMO, the Burmeister system sounds better than the Bose...and I do have quite of bit of "experience" with the Bose system
Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I had the standard system in a Cayman and now have the
Bose in a Cayman S. I like music and the Bose does sound a little better but I would not pay a premium for it.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:53 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I had the standard system in a Cayman and now have the
Bose in a Cayman S. I like music and the Bose does sound a little better but I would not pay a premium for it.
Good feedback!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman

I know, I know, sound quality is very subjective, only I can tell, I should go audition, etc... I'm just curious to hear people's opinion.
When I got my 2008 Cayman, even the difference between the Bose option and Sound Package Plus was very noticeable. I thought it was a joke that Porsche actually charged $500ish for the Sound Package Plus which sounded like more the base sound system with just more crappy speakers. The standard sound system on my 2006 Civic Hybrid sounded better. The Bose option makes the stereo system good enough for me not to want to upgrade. Bring a mix of songs on a cd to see for yourself as not all cars at the dealership will have an ipod option.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:35 AM
zedd06
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

terrible stereo system. use money for cosmetic or performance upgrade
Old 10-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Bose in my 2008 Boxster and overall the sound quality is good enough for me. Are there better sound systems available, sure, but I'm not really an audiophile and I like my cars to remain stock. If you put in aftermarket stuff, when you go to sell/trade the car you never get your money out of it anyway. I've driven/ridden in several nice cars and I've rarely been impressed with the sound systems, especially when its a sports car. In the end, I'd rather listen to my sport exhaust

Quick Reply: Is the Bose option worth it?