Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver and passenger windows

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 AM
scott 964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver and passenger windows

There has been acouple of occassions where the windows have been found down or partly down... i thought it was pilot error but it has just happened again and this time i know i checked it.

I parked the car at work then 1 hour latter a work mate advised passenger window down. Upon checking the drivers window was part down and the passenger window was all the way down.

Has any one else experienced this Boxsterism?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by scott 964
There has been acouple of occassions where the windows have been found down or partly down... i thought it was pilot error but it has just happened again and this time i know i checked it.

I parked the car at work then 1 hour latter a work mate advised passenger window down. Upon checking the drivers window was part down and the passenger window was all the way down.

Has any one else experienced this Boxsterism?
My 02 exhibited odd window behavior: failure to drop the window when the door was opened or worse dropping the window only to raise it shortly after the door was opened so upon closing the door the window's top edge slammed into the top rail with a sound that had me looking to the ground for window fragements. Window never broke but I think it a minor miracle.

The door lock assembly was found to be at fault after various micro switches were checked and found to be ok.

Your car's symptoms not quite the same though... The door lock an expensive piece of hardware and requires effort to get to and replace so it is not something you want to replace unless it is truely required.

In some areas of the country odd door lock/window behavior arises from water collecting in the door from a leaking window seal. The door fills up with water enough that some electrics are submerged and odd and inconsistent electrical gremlins are the result. If not dealt with the gremlins can spread to other seemingly unrelated areas of the car's electrics.

Give the doors a shake and see if you can hear any water sloshing noise. Check along the bottom of the door for any signs of dampness.

In fact check the whole cabin. Another possible source of the symptoms is a body water drain has become blocked and water has backed up and gotten into the cabin -- under the seats is where teh water can end up and this is a particularly sensitive area due the electronics under at least one of the seats -- and its presence accounts for the symptoms.

The water can come from rain or just washing the car. The body water drains need to be checked and kept clear. The more often the car parked under trees or near plants that shed debris the more often the drains need checking/cleaning.

As a last resort your local Porsche service department can hook the car up to a Porsche diagnostics computer and perhaps ID the source of the problem. Part of the diagnosis of my my car's bad door lock assembly involved this. Error codes in the car's security system were found that helped pinpoint the lock assembly though the tech took pains to ensure other possible sources of the symptom were not the cause first because as I mentioned above the door lock is a pretty expensive piece of hardware.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 AM
scott 964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that... car with the main dealer as we speak.

Quick Reply: driver and passenger windows