Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 PM
LTCB
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light on...

2005 Boxster S, bought it CPO in February with 36k miles. Have logged 5k since, including 1800 mile drive from Colorado to DC area in the last two weeks.

Yesterday I noticed it might have been idling just a bit rougher than usual, but barely noticeable. Light came on this evening -- first time I drove the car today.

Haven't put gas in it in a week, so it isn't the gas cap.

What are the most likely faults?

Since it is still under warranty, I am taking it to Porsche of Arlington. I surfed the old forum posts and it seemed there was little reported difference between them and HBL at Tyson's Corner.

Any chance I get out of the dealer without a big payment?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:56 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LTCB

The check engine light came on in my 2005 Boxster the day after I had pulled it out of the garage to wash it (and then back in again without driving it). The light initially came on and was solid but on a subsequent start it began flashing which, according to both the manual and the dealer, means you should not drive the car.

I had the car towed on a flat bed to the dealer and it turned out to just be a misfire. The dealer speculated it was caused by "loading" up the engine then shutting it off without giving it time to unload. I had to pay something for them to look at it and $90 for towing. :-/

Good luck,
Jason
Old 09-09-2010, 10:37 PM
LTCB
AutoX

Loading without time to unload? I don't understand that at all. If your car misfires because you backed it out of the driveway and then shut it off there has to be some cause -- it can't be a reasonable response to the maneuver -- which people do all the time.

It is a headscratcher that the dealer is "speculating" about the problem...
Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Loading without time to unload? I don't understand that at all. If your car misfires because you backed it out of the driveway and then shut it off there has to be some cause -- it can't be a reasonable response to the maneuver -- which people do all the time.
Yeah, I wasn't sure what the dealer meant myself. My guess was that the engine didn't get a chance to properly burn off the fuel or something of that sort. I posted my problem on RennTech.org a while back and another member confirmed my guess.

FWIW - I forgot to mention that they also found the RMS to be leaking, though, they did not connect this to the check engine light coming on.

Jason

Last edited by jfoxny; 09-09-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 PM
LTCB
AutoX

I take it from your post that it is not under warranty. I bought a CPO for the IMS/RMS reasons.

I think I got a decent deal on the car, and the warranty is peace of mind -- mainly in avoiding the unlikely yet horrific circumstance of explaining to the wife why my "new" car needs a 12 thousand dollar "newer" engine.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

I take it from your post that it is not under warranty. I bought a CPO for the IMS/RMS reasons.
My car is a CPO as well, so, the RMS leak was fixed under warranty, however, the clutch was of course not covered. The labor required to fix the RMS leak is about the same as the clutch replacement so I ended up just paying for the clutch parts and the one or two hours extra for replacing it.

Jason
Old 09-09-2010, 11:08 PM
LTCB
AutoX

I've heard that is pretty commonly done. Probably best to get it done cheaper if you plan on keeping it past the warranty.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

2005 Boxster S, bought it CPO in February with 36k miles. Have logged 5k since, including 1800 mile drive from Colorado to DC area in the last two weeks.

Yesterday I noticed it might have been idling just a bit rougher than usual, but barely noticeable. Light came on this evening -- first time I drove the car today.

Haven't put gas in it in a week, so it isn't the gas cap.

Since it is still under warranty, I am taking it to Porsche of Arlington. I surfed the old forum posts and it seemed there was little reported difference between them and HBL at Tyson's Corner.

Any chance I get out of the dealer without a big payment?
If car under CPO you should ont have to pay if a problem is found.

Without the error code(s) associated with check engine light impossible to do anything but make WAGs as to the possible source of the problem.

Intake air leak of some kind which of course to me brings up the spectre of a bad AOS.

Or if a leak it could be a leaking oil filler tube cap. Or a crack in the oil filler tube.

Then the MAF might be acting up. Or one of the coolant or air intake temp sensors.

Best thing you can do is get the car to a dealer and have the experts look into the cause.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM
LTCB
AutoX

Took it to porsche arlington. Sort of a run down dealership. Rep said they are about to level the place and rebuild it...long overdue. Tough economy for major capital improvements but interest rates will never be better.

Anyway

They ran the codes while I waited. diagnosis is a leak in the carbon canister.sounds like a simple fix covered under warranty...but they have to order the part which means bringing it back monday. No other issues noted and so far they haven't tried to sell me anything extra.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Took it to porsche arlington. Sort of a run down dealership. Rep said they are about to level the place and rebuild it...long overdue. Tough economy for major capital improvements but interest rates will never be better.
Funny, my local Porsche dealership is also a bit run-down: sun-faded Porsche sign, mis-matched worn out furniture, dirty carpets, etc. I find it odd that they are selling $100,000 sports cars in an environment like that. PNA should really help out their aging dealerships.

Glad it turned out to be nothing major!

Jason

Quick Reply: Check Engine light on...