Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy mods for HP increase?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:13 PM
plaborde
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy mods for HP increase?

I am thinking about putting a Cayman S in the garage. My question for the forum is what are some easy, COST EFFECTIVE mods, that can increase the horsepower? $9,999 can get a turbo for a huge increase, but what about lower cost mods? Post your ideas here.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think, not that I have done it, the quick increase in 10-30 hp comes with SRP software with GT3 intake plenum and may be with less restrictive exhaust. Without the exhaust, I think the costs are around $1200 for parts, then it takes quite a bit of time for the intake plenum to be installed (3-6 hours may be). Of course don't quote me on these, I don't have first hand experience with this.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:52 AM
KS-CS
Racer

As Flying Toaster suggests, there is only so much you can do for a fairly limited increase: free-flowing exhaust + larger plenum/throttle body + DME reflash (to take advantage of the first 2) - might get you up to about 30 WHP max. The cost, depending on what products/kits you select could cost from about $2500 on up. (FWIW, it took me about 3 hrs to install my race plenum, and I'm pretty slow and deliberate).

The TPC "Lite" turbo kit (no intercooler) might get you around 100 WHP for about $7500 (labor for install not included).

Desnorking, air intakes, K&N filters, underdrive pulleys have all been advocated for increasing HP, but in reality seem to add very little from what I have observed. You might want to take a look over on Planet-9.com, where there is much more exhaustive info and experience with every manner of Cayman modification.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I would change the headers and exhaust, and do nothing else. Expect about 15 - 20 HP and 10 -15 lb-ft of torque. All the other mods will add very little power, and the gains will not be cumulative.

I have no engine or exhaust mods. I do have the Porsche Motorsport Air/Oil Separator, and X51 Oil Pan, but this is to prevent the oiling issues on the track.
The following users liked this post:
Anthonyr105 (01-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Become a PCA member, and get active in your region (if not already). Sign up for DE's and become a better driver (myself included). Learn to use the HP's already in there from the factory. Then, as your driver skill improves, decide which mods are best for you and the car.

For a $9,999 budget you can properly invest in the driver's skill level (you) and safety (HANS for example) and a whole bunch of DE's (and rear tires!) first. With cash left over.

Just another thought.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There is no simple, inexpensive way to add HP to those cars. Porsche does not leave 'low hanging fruit,' although some will try and sell you either new land in Hawaii or a 'cold air kit' which is completely bogus. A friend of mine had his personal friend Alois Ruf use his new Cayman S to prototype their supercharger kit for that car. With 400 hp, it does a significant job boosting your power, but it doesn't come cheap and it doesn't come easily. He still has issues with that car, some 4 years after the mod was done by Ruf, the premier Porsche mod shop.
Attached Images  
dak996 (09-28-2020)
Old 10-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Magnetic K
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

Softronic Software has a sale on their DME flash, claiming a 20 hp/17 ftlb gain for a gen 1 Cayman S.

http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/5...r-special.html
Old 10-25-2010, 11:54 AM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done Softronics high flow program, Milltek catback, desnork, intake, and IPD plenumn. The car is significantly and noticably faster.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:37 PM
Akhannyc
1st Gear

Default Cayman 2008 S

I added custome exhaust, intake, tune up, and added headers. Gave me about 100hp boost (engine and 50hp to the wheel). The car has changed completely. It was expensive but it was worth it.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:56 PM
Schroedinger
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

In short, there are no cost-effective mods for meaningful power. Only cost-effective mods for minimal power or costly mods for meaningful power. When you look at what it will cost to do all the mods and tuning, you could just buy a more powerful car to begin with.
Anthonyr105 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 05:25 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Schroedinger
In short, there are no cost-effective mods for meaningful power. Only cost-effective mods for minimal power or costly mods for meaningful power. When you look at what it will cost to do all the mods and tuning, you could just buy a more powerful car to begin with.

Well stated, and the last sentence is the cost effective part.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:48 PM
OLY-S
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, it's low-tech and "old school" - but finding ways to significantly reduce curb weight -- and increase power-to-weight ratio -- will get any car to perform significantly better. That said, removing significant items from your car may not match up with DD, so I'd suggest making sure you have accurately determined what you mean by increased performance. "Off the line?" "Getting through turns (corners)?" And then, make a decision on how much you're willing to spend for each gain in horsepower. Example: $10K for forced induction to gain 25 bhp equates to $400 per bhp. Do the math when considering where to spend your hard-earned $$.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:54 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OLY-S
Well, it's low-tech and "old school" - but finding ways to significantly reduce curb weight -- and increase power-to-weight ratio -- will get any car to perform significantly better. That said, removing significant items from your car may not match up with DD, so I'd suggest making sure you have accurately determined what you mean by increased performance. "Off the line?" "Getting through turns (corners)?" And then, make a decision on how much you're willing to spend for each gain in horsepower. Example: $10K for forced induction to gain 25 bhp equates to $400 per bhp. Do the math when considering where to spend your hard-earned $$.

^^^^^^^^^
Buy an Cayman R
Old 01-06-2020, 09:06 PM
Schroedinger
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

IIRC the Cayman R is only 150lb less than a standard 987 Cayman S. I would speculate that 70-80 pounds of that is the seats. The Cayman R is an amazing car but very collectible and the market prices are crazy high. If only thinking about performance and not collectibility, a Cayman S can be had for around half that price. A few thousand for sport bucket seats and judicious removal of some other weight can get you mighty close.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:36 PM
fnel1771
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are really intent on spending some money do a GT3 TB and Plenum with an exhaust upgrade. You will feel the difference, but it’s not 30hp more, probably more like a good 20 or so. Mfgers always overstate the gains!!!

Of course after that the slippery slope will really kick in. Good luck

Quick Reply: Easy mods for HP increase?