Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An ATB/LSD for the Cayman/Boxster 5 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:20 PM
ThomWT
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An ATB/LSD for the Cayman/Boxster 5 speed?

I got my '08 5 speed 2.7L Cayman almost two years ago, just around Thanksgiving. As I contemplated the coming winter it occurred to me that, as my Cayman was going to be my daily driver, an ATB (torque biased differential) might be a good thing. However, I watched in dismay as group buys for ATB's for the Cayman/Boxster S and the Cayman/Boxster 6 speed were advertised while there was nothing for the 5 speed. Even worse, I discovered that an ATB for the 5 speed did not even exist.
In reply to my e-mail to Quaife, the manufacturer of the ATB, as to why this was, the reply was that that no one had asked. So, I would like to ask, and possibly make an offer. But Quaife has conditions. It won't make just one for me. It has to make and sell several units to make it economically worthwhile.
So am I am now trying to determine if there are enough folks out there interested in getting an ATB to justify putting together a group who together can make an offer to Quaife which they won't refuse.
If this is something you might be interested in, please go to the Planet-9 website (where you will also find lots of information on the ATB and the relative advantages and disadvantages between the ATB and the LSD) and register your interest on the poll I have set up there. And the follow the thread. If there's enough interest I plan on setting up a group buy. But only if there's enough interest. Right now I'm just trying to measure interest.

Thanks.

ThomWT

Last edited by ThomWT; 07-18-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: second thought
Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Thom,

Even though you're a planet9 member, I suspect maybe you've missed our posts there about how we've got a TBD for the 987 5spds currently in production? We are just finishing them up at our factory and I expect to have them on the shelves before the end of the month.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 PM
ThomWT
4th Gear

Yes, it looks like I did miss your posts. Sorry about that. It looks like folks now have a choice.

ThomWT
Old 07-20-2010, 07:17 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Thom,

There's absolutely no reason to apologize. I just didn't want you to go to all the trouble of trying to get together twenty or thirty people and pitching Quaife and then having to wait for half a year before it happens, especially since there's a product announcement coming up on Planet9 the second I have one in my grubby little hands.

We've had a true LSD available for that gearbox for more than 3 years now, but there seem to be a lot of people, like yourself, who have that car and want a TBD instead. That's what prompted me to make it. I try to listen to the desires of the customer and since we're a small manufacturer we can do things in much smaller quantities than one of the big factories would require. There's no bureaucracy here. When you talk to me, you're talking to the owner and I don't have to talk to a bunch of people or call a meeting to get something made. If I think it's viable, we'll just do it. There's only 10 of these on the first run, but if they take off, it's really easy to make a couple dozen more.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:20 PM
ThomWT
4th Gear

Sounds good.

ThomWT
Old 08-10-2010, 07:45 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9aENGodu5A

Quick Reply: An ATB/LSD for the Cayman/Boxster 5 speed?