Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Color Changes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Paint Color Changes

So I've been on Porsche's website and configuring a Boxster and I keep noticing changes to their color charts. Is it common for them to make changes like this throughout the year?

Kind of frustrating when you have something picked out and then the following week its NLA on their website.

Anyone know the scoop on this?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:29 AM
uncle buck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bet the with the 2011 models being released, the standard colors changed. Porsche does this almost every year.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had my eye on an Ice Blue Metallic Spyder which was only going to be available after November of 2010, that option mysteriously disappeared last week?

I'm hoping they did it so buyers will focus on existing color combos currently on the market rather than waiting to order what the really want but I'm not sure on this since this will be my first new Porsche purchase.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know if they have changed how they deal with paint changes after an order has been placed. But I can tell you back in 1985, my uncle ordered a new 944 in ruby red. Shortly before his car was going to be built the dealer told him that ruby red was discontinued and the closest color now offered was garnet. So my uncle ended up completely changing his color scheme since he did not want garnet. That was many years ago and hopefully they have changed how they do things.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

My guess is that Ice Blue will be generally available for order after 11/2010, but the Spyder will no longer be at that point.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dino944
I don't know if they have changed how they deal with paint changes after an order has been placed. But I can tell you back in 1985, my uncle ordered a new 944 in ruby red. Shortly before his car was going to be built the dealer told him that ruby red was discontinued and the closest color now offered was garnet. So my uncle ended up completely changing his color scheme since he did not want garnet. That was many years ago and hopefully they have changed how they do things.
That's what is weird. Porsche is offering the color on all of their other cars but not on the Spyder.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
My guess is that Ice Blue will be generally available for order after 11/2010, but the Spyder will no longer be at that point.
I've read in several magazines that the Spyder will not be a limited production model. Porsche will make as many as are demanded. I've read this in more than one publication but I have not verified it with the dealer yet.

I was also under the impression that the Spyder would be sold through 2011 or until the new 981 is introduced.

Are you certain that they are only being sold this year?

I have yet to read anything about limiting production.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

None of the current US Porsche models are "limited", not even the GT3RS. But like that car, minimal demand for the Spyder means minimal allocations.

2012 models will probably be launched early in 2011, so production of some (if not all) 2011 sports car models will be done by the end of 2010. (Remember that it takes 6-8 weeks from production to delivery, so a car built in late November may not arrive at a US dealership until almost February.)

There will be even less demand for the Spyder in winter, especially right before a new model launch, so I expect production will end this fall (if not sooner), with remaining parts bolted to a small run of Cayman Club Sports. If you want to spec your own Spyder, I would not dawdle.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You should consult with your dealer (salesman) for the latest changes to the colors for a given year. Sometimes they do make changes during the year but not often. It is usually done with a MY rollover.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts
Default check the car configurator

or look at this website
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/bo...er/visualizer/
Ice Blue metallic available on the Boxster Spyder after 9/10
Platinum Silver (replaces Arctic Silver) and Amethyst metallic available after 10/10 but not available on Boxster Spyder

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
So I've been on Porsche's website and configuring a Boxster and I keep noticing changes to their color charts. Is it common for them to make changes like this throughout the year?

Kind of frustrating when you have something picked out and then the following week its NLA on their website.

Anyone know the scoop on this?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSF101
or look at this website
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/bo...er/visualizer/
Ice Blue metallic available on the Boxster Spyder after 9/10
Platinum Silver (replaces Arctic Silver) and Amethyst metallic available after 10/10 but not available on Boxster Spyder
Thanks!

Now I'm really psyched! I seriously expected a fight from the dealership to have the car ordered in that color.

Quick Reply: Paint Color Changes