Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Leftover discount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:52 PM
batty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Leftover discount?

I'm considering trading in my 986 before it gets any longer in the tooth and am wondering if people on the board have had success bargaining down already discounted leftovers. I'm looking at a handful of leftover 09 Boxster S with a list price of $55-$56k discounted down from MSRP $66-68k. In your experience what sort of discount are dealers amenable to on 2 year old, holdover inventory. Is an extra 10% off reasonable at the end of the month. More, less? I appreciate any and all feedback, so thanks much in advance.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by batty
I'm considering trading in my 986 before it gets any longer in the tooth and am wondering if people on the board have had success bargaining down already discounted leftovers. I'm looking at a handful of leftover 09 Boxster S with a list price of $55-$56k discounted down from MSRP $66-68k. In your experience what sort of discount are dealers amenable to on 2 year old, holdover inventory. Is an extra 10% off reasonable at the end of the month. More, less? I appreciate any and all feedback, so thanks much in advance.
Year ago I would have told you you could do better by maybe a couple of thousand. Had one dealer offer me a new Boxster RS60 Spyder at a substantial discount already from MSRP and the salesman clearly indicated there was additional some discount to be had on the order of several $K. And he hinted the low financing rate (1.9% at the time) also available. I never pushed to see how true this.

But this year.... stock is down. My visits to various dealers see more than a few dealer to dealer car swaps taking place. Dealers are scrambling to get in cars that people want to buy.

Production was cut back and there just aren't that many cars is my take. As a result the discounts you're seeing might be as good as it gets.

But I'm not real current on the Boxster market. I've been sort of looking for a Cayman S but the pickings are slim and I suspect prices about as low as they're going to be.

However, you can be sure before I do venture onto a lot to buy I'll have a better feel for the market.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

20% is pretty good, especially if they have what you want on the lot. Only way to find out how much room they have is to ask.

I'm hoping there is some wiggle room on the Spyder when I'm ready to buy this winter, have to wait and see.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few months ago, I purchased a Boxster for approximately 20% off sticker. I was happy with the deal, but I also know that there are always other better deals out there...

This car came with the options I wanted and was already at my local dealer, so it was a win for me.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 AM
batty
Instructor

Yeah, my mistake was driving the Spyder after the Boxster S. Now I think I'm forgetting the holdovers and possibly moving in a different direction....
Old 06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I picked up my car, a left over 2008 Boxster S, in Aug '09 for 30% off SRP. It was a new car with 30mi on the clock, warranty card clicked off in early 2008.
After seeing the Spyder though, I am tempted to trade my car in for it. However, I've got too much mod $ and on fast track to paying down the loan to restart the clock (plus, i feel I'm attracted to the Spyder simply for the looks and performance gains would be marginal. Even Vicky from Fifth Gear agreed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKO1txe-0s

Good luck with your search!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:59 PM
batty
Instructor

Lithium, I saw the Vicky clip before I test drove the Spyder and was happy thinking that the S would be all that and a functional top too, but when I test drove them back to back it was night and day. Whoever said on one of these threads that the difference was the same as from the 997S to the GT3 I think was spot on. The Spyder is just so much more raw, visceral and alive (at least with PSE it is...) that I immediately lost interest in the 09 S I had my eye on. I did get cold feet at the last second and opt not to get the Spyder today because I'm sure in Seattle I would regret having that pain in the *** roof to deal with on my daily driver. But man on man, what a car!!!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 PM
batty
Instructor

PS. Congrats on scoring 30% off last summer. That's gotta have you feeling pretty good about your purchase!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:38 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

I did get cold feet at the last second and opt not to get the Spyder today because I'm sure in Seattle I would regret having that pain in the *** roof to deal with on my daily driver.
I must be crazy then... as I live in Portland, Oregon and have a Spyder as a DD. I do have a garage though at home and at work. BTW the roof works great in the rain! No leaks what so ever!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:14 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Lithium, I saw the Vicky clip before I test drove the Spyder and was happy thinking that the S would be all that and a functional top too, but when I test drove them back to back it was night and day. Whoever said on one of these threads that the difference was the same as from the 997S to the GT3 I think was spot on. The Spyder is just so much more raw, visceral and alive (at least with PSE it is...) that I immediately lost interest in the 09 S I had my eye on. I did get cold feet at the last second and opt not to get the Spyder today because I'm sure in Seattle I would regret having that pain in the *** roof to deal with on my daily driver. But man on man, what a car!!!!!
Yeah Batty... I want the Spyder (and my fiancee has scolded me a few times for using Porsche configurator already) for all the raw-ness it offers. Of course, looking back the my last 12mo of ownership, I recall the times when I pushed the button to put the top up for rain, and also driving hundreds of miles with cruise set @ 80 - 90mph on a road trip in a reasonable quiet cabin. If the cabin is noisy @ 80mph, I'm these would be solo trips and thus less fun.

BTW, I upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust and springs so that the car sounds (better than Spyder with PSE) and handles very nice (even if only 80% - but most of us don't drive these cars anywhere near their capabilities, even at DE's), and at the same time offers creature comfort that my fiancee approves.
You can hear the exhaust setup here: http://www.vimeo.com/12393478
Good luck with your search!

Originally Posted by Cayman
I must be crazy then... as I live in Portland, Oregon and have a Spyder as a DD. I do have a garage though at home and at work. BTW the roof works great in the rain! No leaks what so ever!
It sort of depends on your commute and whether you commute with top down all the time. If you have a relatively short & local commute, risk of running into rain showers may be small. However, if you have longer commute (distance wise and/or mostly traffic) or live in place where you have unpredictable rain (like S. FL), having to pull off to put top up is probably not ideal. My convertible top is up only when it's parked or when it's 90+ degrees out. Otherwise, putting the top down is 2nd thing I do after starting the car. But then again, that's just me... I put the top down every single chance I get - if you bought a convertible, why wouldn't you put the top down all the time.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was wondering about PSE on the Spyder. Other than the huge sound enhancement does it offer any performance gains? Do aftermarket exhausts improve performance?

I will admit that it is a nice feature considering you can turn it on/off depending on your mood and who you're driving with.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I was wondering about PSE on the Spyder. Other than the huge sound enhancement does it offer any performance gains? Do aftermarket exhausts improve performance?

I will admit that it is a nice feature considering you can turn it on/off depending on your mood and who you're driving with.
PSE, doesn't offer any performance gains. If you want the car to feel more aggressive order the sport chrono option. I'm wasn't crazy about the chrono's appearance (although you get used to it), but it does change the character of the car. As for aftermarket exhausts some claim to increase performance (added HP). Some claims are legit but I think some claims are a bit exaggerated, so do your homework.

The ability to turn the "exhaust sound" on or off is a nice feature. Initially, I thought it was a bit silly, but I really like it. I know guys that have gone with aftermarket exhausts on Porsches and Ferraris, some just love a loud exhaust. Others, grew very tired of an overly loud exhaust and were trying to sell them or trade them for a stock exhaust or a slightly quieter aftermarket exhaust. If you go aftermarket...again do your homework and try to hear a few different brands in person. Its great to hear it in a video, but depending on how loud or quiet the sound is on your computer it doesn't always give you an accurate idea of sound or what its like to hear it directly behind your head continuously while driving.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dino, very informative.

If performance gains aren't significant with aftermarket exhaust the PSE sounds like the best solution. I agree that a constant loud exhaust can get tiring on long trips, especially if my wife is with me.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thanks Dino, very informative.

If performance gains aren't significant with aftermarket exhaust the PSE sounds like the best solution. I agree that a constant loud exhaust can get tiring on long trips, especially if my wife is with me.
I think PSE is a great compromise of a sporty exhaust but one thats not rediculously loud. Its also good if you live in an area where cops are getting serious about really loud cars and bikes...because you can "turn the sound down" when you seen them. I love the sound of my Ferrari, but I can tell you after about 2 hours of driving, the exhaust can seem a bit loud and mine is stock. One guy I know that put a Tubi exhaust on a 348 uses ear plugs (probably not legal) if he is going to be in his car for more than an hour...he said otherwise it gives him a headache. To me that would detract from really enjoying the car.

Good luck and best regards,
Dino

Quick Reply: 09 Leftover discount?