Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

special tool for bleeding coolant from Caymen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default special tool for bleeding coolant from Caymen?

anybody know what is required to bleed coolant from caymen and fill again?

im told it is a special tool?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
anybody know what is required to bleed coolant from caymen and fill again?

im told it is a special tool?
What the dealerships and savvy indies use is a coolant vacuum filler.

I've seen the ones the dealers use. The coolant vacuum filler consists of two parts: A vacuum pump and separate but on the same cart a large tank or reservior that is filled with premixed coolant (anti-freeze and water (preferrably distilled water)).

The cooling system is drained then sealed again.

The coolant vacuum filler is connected to the car's coolant tank filler opening with a proper cap and this cap connected by a hose to the vacuum filler. A vacuum is drawn on the car's cooling system. Enough I've been told that the radiator hoses will collapse.

When the pressure is low enough, the tech shuts off the vacuum pump and closes a valve of the vacuum line to the cap. The tech then opens another valve the opens a line that runs to the coolant tank reservior on the vacuum filler.

Atmospheric pressure forces the coolant out of the tank through teh hose to the cap and into the car's cooling system. Because there is very little air in the cooling system no air pockets form and the filling is complete.

After the coolant has been transferred the tech will start the engine and let it idle and warm up and let the engine get hot enough the coolant will flow just to be sure there are no air pockets, but the system is pretty foolproof.

Added: Meant to post this link but forgot: Here it is better late than never:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n8824725/

I've had the coolant replaced in several of my Porsches over the last few years with this system -- at various dealerships -- and have never had to add coolant after getting the car back. The cooling system is filled sans any air pockets.

This is a much much better technique that adding some coolant, running the engine until it gets hot and the coolant then flows a bit further into the system, and then repeating this sometimes several times.

You can pay anywhere from around $100 or so to well I guess the sky's the limit for a vacuum filler system.

Do a google search on coolant vacuum filler and follow some hits/links to see what's available.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an article that describes the low tech way of filling and bleeding the cooling system without special tools:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/I...tructions.html

Quick Reply: special tool for bleeding coolant from Caymen?