Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S making a whining noise until engine reaches temperature

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:46 PM
bazzy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boxster S making a whining noise until engine reaches temperature

I have a '05 987 boxster S that makes a a whining noise primarily when i turn the wheels and also when it decelerates however when the car warms up and reaches temperature, the noise disappears

the noise seems to be coming from the front passenger wheel/transmission tunnel. i had the car serviced at porsche 3 months ago and had the major 60k miles service so i am assuming that it isnt a belt? (although as i said the noise goes away after a quick blast down the road to warm her up.)

has anyone else had a similar problem?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you're low on steering fluid. Make sure your car isn't losing any fluids, and have your mechanic top up the steering fluid.

Phil
Old 06-22-2010, 10:08 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steering pump or rack could have air, so lift the front of the p-car and turn the car on turn the wheel all the way to the left until lock and again to the right until lock. Do this a couple of time and hopefully the air will be removed. Also, check the fluid level. If you do a U-turn and you hear the noise could be your steering pump going bad and required replacing. Let us know once you fix the problem...

Quick Reply: Boxster S making a whining noise until engine reaches temperature