Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wow.

I just spent about an hour and a half early this morning in a new Cayman S. Never drove one before today. What a piece of crap.....

....it makes just about any other car feel like.

Seriously, is this the biggest (not-really-so-secret) secret out there? I've been thinking of selling my two cars (including my 993) and settling on maybe just one for now. Was starting to look for a good CPO 997TT or a new 997.2, but now I dunno. I had an incredible time driving the Cayman. It's pretty bloody amazing in terms of pure driving satisfaction.

What can I say, I'm totally impressed. And I think it could work as a DD(?)

Forget the 997. This thing just felt more satisfying, imho.

Is the IMS issue resolved now? I think I want one of these go-karts.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:22 AM
JCay
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cayman has not had a (common) IMS problem.

Cayman is gold. You can't go wrong :-)
works great as a dd
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The M97 engine with redesigned IMS components lessened the IMS issue on gen 1, and as I understand now, all gen 2 car, including 997, no longer use IMS, but something else in its place, so no more problems in that area. There was a tech article in Excellence on this.

As a DD... I sold two of cars, got the CS in Jan '06 and haven't looked back. 67K mi. (10K track mi.) now and literally the best car I have owned as a DD and dual purpose car.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Gator Bite
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canyon56,

I feel the pain too. I have a VW Passat as a work car. Before I got my Cayman S I felt that the Passat was a really good driving car. Now, it's almost painful to drive the VW. It feels like a whopping POS.

The Cayman is just so crisp. It walks a fine line between comfortable, useful and sporty. It does everything so well, clutch engagement, shifting, gearing, turn in, braking, acclerating... It's all there.

I'm in my 3rd year of ownership now, with about 30,000 miles and 10 track days and I am still falling in love with this car. Porsche has done a great job with the Cayman.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
I just spent about an hour and a half early this morning in a new Cayman S. Never drove one before today. What a piece of crap.....

....it makes just about any other car feel like.

Seriously, is this the biggest (not-really-so-secret) secret out there? I've been thinking of selling my two cars (including my 993) and settling on maybe just one for now. Was starting to look for a good CPO 997TT or a new 997.2, but now I dunno. I had an incredible time driving the Cayman. It's pretty bloody amazing in terms of pure driving satisfaction.

What can I say, I'm totally impressed. And I think it could work as a DD(?)

Forget the 997. This thing just felt more satisfying, imho.

Is the IMS issue resolved now? I think I want one of these go-karts.
The IMS issue has been resolved in those newer Caymans which come with the new redesigned engine that does away with the IMS.

If the car doesn't come with this new design engine with no IMS, if it comes with the previous generation engine, the M97 engine, the engine has an IMS and therefore has the potential (slight it may be) to suffer IMS ills.

I had only a few weeks with my Cayman S (08) but it was a fantastic car. Before it, I drove and continue to drive an 02 Boxster and the mid-engine layout is very very nice and this was one reason why I bought a Cayman S.

The Cayman S of course retains the mid-engine layout and comes with a hard top which stiffens the car's body/chassis (though honestly I never noticed the Boxster all that flexible -- it is for a roadster a very stiff chassis) and provides an even better driving platform.

In short the Cayman S is one very very nice car. I daresay were Porsche to offer the Cayman with the same engine choices as the bigger models the Cayman would be unbeatable.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:48 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only the dread IMS but Porsche claims the new block has 40 % fewer parts; with more power and better economy !! Its also proved quite durable in its first two years of racing (interseries). Its quite a looker and as you've notice, a great DD, both to work and the track.
Jack
Tampa
former 993 and 997 owner
Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I purchased an '09' CS with PDK/PASM/SC as a DD. I have been very happy with the car. I can get 29-30 mpg on the highway at legal speeds and it is one of the most fun cars I've ever owned on the track.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Quick Reply: Wow.