Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Boxster S a good first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:13 AM
breakdown
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Boxster S a good first Porsche?

Hey Everyone,

I was originally set on getting a 997 C2 cabriolet but they're just out of my price range. I don't want to end up stretching myself too thin on the car purchase. The 2005 or 2006 Boxster S, however, fits nicely into my price range.

I don't need the back seats since it's just my girlfriend and I. I used to be an avid motorcyclist but got out of that since I had a bad accident last year. I'm looking for something to replace the bike with and I think a Porsche cabriolet will fit that bill nicely.

What do you guys think, would I be happy with the Boxster S as my first Porsche? I have to admit that I'm a bit worried about people bugging me. It doesn't really bother me but it definitely sucks to have people making fun of your new toy.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 140 Posts

I think you can't go wrong with the Boxster. It was my first Porsche. I now have a 997 coupe and a 987. I also ride bikes and the Boxster is a great transition. You can still feel the temp changes and smell those great smells like riding a bike!

Go for it. You won't be disapointed.

Matt (in MA)
Old 05-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by breakdown
Hey Everyone,

I was originally set on getting a 997 C2 cabriolet but they're just out of my price range. I don't want to end up stretching myself too thin on the car purchase. The 2005 or 2006 Boxster S, however, fits nicely into my price range.

I don't need the back seats since it's just my girlfriend and I. I used to be an avid motorcyclist but got out of that since I had a bad accident last year. I'm looking for something to replace the bike with and I think a Porsche cabriolet will fit that bill nicely.

What do you guys think, would I be happy with the Boxster S as my first Porsche? I have to admit that I'm a bit worried about people bugging me. It doesn't really bother me but it definitely sucks to have people making fun of your new toy.
Boxster S would be a very nice first Porsche. I started with a 2.7l Boxster then went to an 08 Cayman S and now have a Turbo (and still have the Boxster).

As for what people think it either bothers you and drives your car choice or it doesn't and it doesn't.

My question then becomes what happens if you buy the Cab and someone likes hardtop cars? Or believes the Turbo or GT3 or GT3 is the only "real" Porsche.

Or believes a 911 air-cooled Porsche is the only Porsche worth owning? Then you run into someone who thinks the 911 is a pretender to the throne rightly belonging to the 356. And so on.

And no matter what you buy there's the color issue.

You can't please everyone. So please no one but yourself. Buy what you want.

My feeling is if someone wants to buy me a car he can tell me what to buy.

Until then I buy what I want, well what I can afford. What I want is a C-GT. In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy the heck out of my 02 Boxster and my 03 Turbo and invest in Super Lotto tickets for the chance of getting a C-GT.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
equ
Racer

Boxster/cayman are more motorcycle-like than 996 or 997's, imho. Air-cooled are great, but old and for a different fix. I highly recommend 987's.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Boxster is an AWESOME first Porsche; this P-car is so much fun. But, remember that their resale value will dip much faster...They are not as ICONIC as the 911, so the value will reflect that IMO.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Definately Yes...

you just wont go wrong with a Boxster as your first Porsche. I loved moving to a Boxster previously. I enjoyed it so much I drove it 3000 mile roundtrip for a vacation with my wife. We even manage to go shopping and had room for all of her things on the way home. You will be surprised how much space 2 trunks can hold in that car. They also are a LOT of fun to drive with the top down. I highly recommend this as a first Porsche.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

First thing to do is drive one. How can you go wrong with a midengine convertible? It's a blast to drive. I drove a Lotus Elise and that was fun but too raw for regular use. Go drive one then let us know what you think. It's sibling the Cayman S was 1st place in a recent comparison between the Cayman S , Lotus Evora, and Corvette (see Car & Driver).

If you are buying a car to impress, you are wasting your time. It's all in the eye of the beholder. There will always be someone with a quicker, more expensive, or rarer car. I enjoys our 987 S, and I love sports cars and Porsches in general. But the only 997 that really excites me is the GT3, and if storeage, time, and money/lack of warranty weren't an issue I'd probably get an air cooled 911 of some sort...I love the air cooled cars.

Our 987 isn't going to impress acqaintences with Ferraris, Astons, or Masers, but my neighbors kids adore our Boxster.

I can also say I had a 50 mile drive and a 997C4s got on the high with me and we both had a blast exercising our Porsches together for about 40 miles until it was time to head in different directions. Go drive a 987S, then make a decision.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Watch your options....I say it's the perfect car for someone like yourself. Maintenance costs will probably be less than the 997, I suppose, I don't know that for a fact.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

great cars - handles better than a 911, but slower & less grunt.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...got out of [motorcycling] after a bad accident last year...breakdown
I hung up my helmet after a near collision with a deer in Monashee Pass, not far from you, and got my Porsche shortly thereafter. The year before, motorcycle safety guru Lawrence Grodsky had died in a collision with a deer, and that had been bothering me.

Anyway, good luck with your search. A Boxster would be a lot of fun on all those twisty roads, right in your back yard, and the air conditioner should have enough oomph for those hot Okanagan summers.

Last edited by Rinty; 05-30-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:26 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
great cars - handles better than a 911, but slower & less grunt.
+1

I love my 911, but the Boxster's handling is sublime - it dances around corners like a ballerina. The 911 (in the hands of THIS amateur) feels heavier and I have to work harder to get it close to its handling potential.

You can still have the Boxster experience with the base model - the more powerful S is preferred by most (budget permitting) and outruns the base, but the base is a wonderfully balanced car that will likely satisfy you every time you drive it.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

The Boxster is a good first, second or third Porsche for that matter. The Boxster is an all around great car...
Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

I ended up with a 987S myself back in 2006 after growing impatient saving up for the coveted 911 variant. I'm also a coupe kind of guy and would rather have something of a hardshell all around and not just a soft top for various reasons. But as a first car or as Nacelle has said 2d, 3d or so on Porsche you can't go wrong with it. It's fun to drive whether with the top up or down and that mid-engine layout is just so nimble and swift on tight bendy roads. People give me crap all the time but i think (co-workers) that it's more out of amazement that someone of my age and line of work could afford to buy one and maintain one. As for onlookers I get looks and thumbs up all the time and I always think...geez it's just a Boxster! In the end it's what makes you and only you happy and not what others think.

My plan is to keep the 987S and have a 911 type as a companion in the future.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:39 PM
crispy
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go for it! I'm on the 4th day with my '07 2.7 Cayman and am blown away. I had a '71 911T back in the 90's that was mostly a toy and didn't get driven much. It was cool, a little squirrelly but had that awesome Porsche raspy growl and pull. My Cayman has the same growl and pull but is simply amazing in the turns. An S version would just get me in trouble.. It's a perfect choice for you given your story. Do it. C.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:51 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by equ
Boxster/cayman are more motorcycle-like than 996 or 997's, imho. Air-cooled are great, but old and for a different fix. I highly recommend 987's.
?????????????? how can 2 cars be closer to the feeling of a motorcycle than 2 other cars??? everything else makes sense.

Fit the appropriate p-car into whatever budget you have for a vehicle, that's the first step, everything else will happen naturally (the progression into different models when you wish)

Quick Reply: Is the Boxster S a good first Porsche?