Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Boxster S a good first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:33 PM
mgsimmer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 987 is an awesome car. The 2005 MY car out-slaloms all the cars listed in the table in the back pages of Road and Track in the period it was reviewed (sometime in late 2005 or early 2006). And that was a car (i.e. Boxster S) without the rigidity offered by the Cayman! The car is a devastating Northern CA back-road ravager.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:53 PM
batty
Instructor

As a former motorcyclist interested in life and limb preservation, I too got a Boxster as a first Porsche and crotch rocket replacement. Best decision I ever made. I even ended up with a base model because it was the screamingest deal I could find at the time. And while I may have started out worrying about my power inadequacies, I've grown to love being able to live high in the rev range without worrying about going to jail. There's a lot of truth to the maxim, "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast" at least where public roads are concerned. S or non S, the Boxster is a perfectly balanced, great handling roadster. You can't go wrong!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 PM
porschebaby
4th Gear

... we have been smiling for an entire year... DO IT!!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 AM
jacksojf
Instructor

As you can see from my list below; I've had several Porsches over the years and would not hesitate to recommend the Boxster or Boxster S.

As others implied or stated above, either Boxster is a delight. I've often said it's the most well-balanced car Porsche ever made.

Even after I picked up my GT 3, I was scheming to keep the Boxster too as it was the best top-down attitude adjuster I've ever owned...I'm still not sure selling it a month after buying the 3 was a smart move.

Don't be too hung up on the S vs the 2.7 Boxster; in real world driving, the extra oomph from the S is nice, but not essential, and you can do your budget another favor if you can find a well maintained 2.7.

Good luck with the hunt!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:03 PM
DT04R
Intermediate

Excellent thread! I'm planning on a Boxster purchase as well, and it would be my first Porsche. Very likely an '07+ S model (to get the larger 3.4L motor), and _maybe_ an '09+ since they have some nice incremental updates too.

I joined some time ago, but mainly just lurked around (I was considering a used 996/TT at the time).

Anyway, I don't want to derail the OP's thread, just wanted to thank the folks that had contributed!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned three 356s, various 911s (1966 up to a 1984) & several 914s (1973 was my favorite) & I wish I still had all of them. Thanks to my wife I've been a proud owner of a 2006 997 Cab for four years. If I had to do it all over again (w/o her input) I would have purchased a Boxster S and saved the extra money. My best friend has a 2000 Boxster and I love it and if you ask him he says the '06 Cab is the best. Therefore to each their own, love the one you're with & If you are not living on the edge you are taking up space.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Wasn't my first but my 01S' was a great car-no issues. Miss the xcrosses and DE's in it. You won't be disappointed!

JJ SA Texas
010 Cayman S
010 WRX STI
Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
nine87
AutoX

Hi,

Let me echo what most of the others have said. The Boxster S is a GREAT car in itself, and a great first Porsche to own. I would recommend as new a model as possible, based on your budget. My comments are based on driving a 2007 3.4L Boxster S with sports chrono and PASM.

Great handling, solidly engineered, acceleration that sets the blood racing, and a guaranteed grin on your face every time you drive it.

My comments are however based on my previous experience of driving a MX5 for 5 years. I am used to the road noise that you get with a convertible and the security issues associated with a ragtop.

If I wanted to be critical, the only weak point of the Boxster is the sound system. Even with the top-of-the end Bose Surround System, the audio quality is quite ordinary.

On the other hand, the sound system is usually off so that I can enjoy the Flat-6 Symphony.

Hope you decide to get yours soon

Nine87
(all the way from Singapore)

Old 08-03-2010, 12:05 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

997 owner here who misses his '03 986S dearly. Wish I could have both, but for all my 911 gives me the boxster still came a close second. You won't regret it one bit.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

A 2005 Boxster was my first Porsche and I loved driving that car, drop the top and cruise. Driving thur the mountian in western Canada with the boxster is a blast.

The Boxster S or the non S are great cars period, I'm on my third one. I love my GT3 for the track but much prefer to drive the Boxster on the street. The latest version the Spyder, is a great car, I'm thrill with it.

Last edited by Polarporsche; 08-03-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Boxster in my Future?
Advanced

I bought my first Porsche (base Boxster) earlier this year. I have had nothing but admiring nods and congrats from friends and strangers. I came from a twin turbo BMW 335i that had LOTS of power. While I might like to have the extra ponies from the "S" once in a while, I enjoy keeping this one close to or in the power band when it's safe to do so - and it sounds, feels, drives, and handles just fabulously. That's why I bought this car. Plus I got a screaming deal on it too. No regrets either! Just find the one you like and pull that trigger!

Doug
Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 AM
scott 964
Advanced

i went looking at mine 2 months ago....then the voice in my head made me buy it..
every time i drive it i like it more and more

Scott

Quick Reply: Is the Boxster S a good first Porsche?