Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Variocam engagement

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:24 AM
JayRZ
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Variocam engagement

My 07 Cayman 2.7 up until yesterday has had this extra "pull" as the tach swept past 6000-6200 rpm on the way to redline and a very noticeable change in engine tone as it seemed to smooth out and yank harder. I had always thought this was the variocam at work.

As of my only sprint to redline and driving the car to work tonight and wringing it up through the gears that extra surge of power and change in tone as the tach sweeps past 6000-6200 is not there.

What do you think is wrong? IS there something wrong?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRZ
My 07 Cayman 2.7 up until yesterday has had this extra "pull" as the tach swept past 6000-6200 rpm on the way to redline and a very noticeable change in engine tone as it seemed to smooth out and yank harder. I had always thought this was the variocam at work.

As of my only sprint to redline and driving the car to work tonight and wringing it up through the gears that extra surge of power and change in tone as the tach sweeps past 6000-6200 is not there.

What do you think is wrong? IS there something wrong?
You're getting used to the car. Time to trade up to a Turbo!

Seat of the pants (aka butt) dyno has some validity so I won't dismiss your concern entirely.

Any other change in engine behavior? How's gas mileage?

Has there been a big change in the weather where you are? Sudden warm up? Humid?

What gas you been using in the car? Last filll up when? Did you change brands? Do you buy gas from busy station?

Are you running the stock air filter? Have you changed the filter recently? Ever?

Did you have the A/C on?

How had you been driving the car earlier the last trip or two? Sedate? Granny-ish? These engines adapt quite quickly and efficiently to one's style of driving but it does take a bit of consistency to get them to unlearn if you've been puttering around town for a few trips, or one long trip.

Absent any other symptoms and with no signs of engine distress it may just be your imagination if not "bad" gas, the weather.

If VarioCam Plus was not working I have to believe you'd see a check engine light on by now.

Sometimes conditions are just right or better than others for an engine. A good tank of gas, air temperature low, air pressure high, low humidty and the engine feels special. Other times... a bit, a tiny bit, but a noticable tiny bit, flat.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Variocam engagement