Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Boxster oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by drfous
Thx. I think its the principle or I'm just cheap. lol

I saw a durametric like device on ebay for $175. wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Ships from the Germany.
What's the name of the device? Link? (In English please as my German is after 40 years of non-use no good anymore. It wasn't all the good to begin with. If only someone had told me I'd own a German sports car and knowing German would be helpful and cool...Sigh)

I've used Actron device (just a nice generic OBD2 code reader/data viewer) and a couple of AutoXRay devices (from the UK I think). None of these are Porsche specific and none can clear the oil service due light or whatever it is.

Also, my recommendation would be to see if you could improve your relationship with your dealer and its service department to get that light turned off for free. But a $35 charge ain't bad... I've heard more, way more, being charged and in one or two cases the dealer refusing unless the oil/filter service done at the dealership. This would have my sending a letter to the dealer's GM and to PCNA. Thankfully my dealers, the ones I use, aren't like that.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:38 PM
drfous
Rennlist Member

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
What's the name of the device? Link? (In English please as my German is after 40 years of non-use no good anymore. It wasn't all the good to begin with. If only someone had told me I'd own a German sports car and knowing German would be helpful and cool...Sigh)

I've used Actron device (just a nice generic OBD2 code reader/data viewer) and a couple of AutoXRay devices (from the UK I think). None of these are Porsche specific and none can clear the oil service due light or whatever it is.

Also, my recommendation would be to see if you could improve your relationship with your dealer and its service department to get that light turned off for free. But a $35 charge ain't bad... I've heard more, way more, being charged and in one or two cases the dealer refusing unless the oil/filter service done at the dealership. This would have my sending a letter to the dealer's GM and to PCNA. Thankfully my dealers, the ones I use, aren't like that.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Here's the eBay item. When I paid $35 I had other service done just before going off warranty. I'm looking to find a good indy here in Phoenix for future work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Diagn...motiveQ5fTools
Old 04-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by drfous
Here's the eBay item. When I paid $35 I had other service done just before going off warranty. I'm looking to find a good indy here in Phoenix for future work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Diagn...motiveQ5fTools
Looks interesting.

I'll look into this tomorrow at work. I have a co-worker who's from Germany and maybe he can help.

If it does what it claims, very very tempting. But being a bit cautious by nature I need to look into a bit more.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:59 PM
drfous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Looks interesting.

I'll look into this tomorrow at work. I have a co-worker who's from Germany and maybe he can help.

If it does what it claims, very very tempting. But being a bit cautious by nature I need to look into a bit more.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I asked the seller a couple of questions.

No limit on the number of VINs.

1 time free software upgrade at 12 months. $150 every time after that.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:41 PM
orangem
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the ebay one is a copied durametric cable a la the China type. I heard they are still using the durametric cable but durametric no longer allows them to be updated on these cables. For the dollars one pay for the ebay one, i would think durametric is a more better investment.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by orangem
I think the ebay one is a copied durametric cable a la the China type. I heard they are still using the durametric cable but durametric no longer allows them to be updated on these cables. For the dollars one pay for the ebay one, i would think durametric is a more better investment.
I don't want to buy a Durametric clone. If I decide I want a Durametric system then I'll buy one.

I'm going to look into this some more this coming week.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:37 PM
orangem
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooops...I meant these clones uses durametric software but the I heard the latter software version has blocked these clones. Durametric guys do a good job and one should definitely consider buying from the original guys.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:53 PM
drfous
Rennlist Member

Agree, if its just a durametric rip-off..no thanks. I'll get the real thing.

Let us know what you find Mac.

Quick Reply: 09 Boxster oil change