Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change interval for 05 "S"

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change interval for 05 "S"

Hi I am not that familiar with the service time table for 987's. I am considering an 05, but the carfax maintenance history is showing the
first oil changes at: 10,019.

Second oil change: 21,209.

On a new vehicle, I would have dumped it first after the break in period and then under 5,000 miles thereafter.

Should I be concerned about this oil change interval ???????????
Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 AM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the factory was /is using 10K mile oil changes. Its the wave of the future, here today. Same thing for my 2.5l VW motor when using synthetic.

Now comes the part where everyone throws in an opinion.. every 3K miles? every 5k? mabe 7.5k? 10k? The owner does no damage replacing it at factory recommended intervals. If you want to change it more frequently based on use or intuition, then that's fine too. Many out here will encourage more frequent changing.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:15 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the information. For my money frequent changes are cheap insurance.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not all oil change info will show up on a CarFax.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn
Hi I am not that familiar with the service time table for 987's. I am considering an 05, but the carfax maintenance history is showing the
first oil changes at: 10,019.

Second oil change: 21,209.

On a new vehicle, I would have dumped it first after the break in period and then under 5,000 miles thereafter.

Should I be concerned about this oil change interval ???????????
How many miles on car?

While ideally an early oil change and more frequent oil changes would be nice if car fairly low miles it has not been driven too much on "past its change by date" oil.

As long as car checks out ok and PPI finds nothing to fret about I think the car will prove to be ok.

Be sure to give the engine a good listen to after cold start.

In fact stall while engine idles and warms up. Engine should exhibit no obvious clickity/clackity or ticking/knocking sounds at any time.

When I shopped my cars I will get down on my hands and knees beside the car at various points to give a good listen to the engine as the engine idles and warms up.

The time to hear any odd noises is *before* you buy the car, not after.

Once warm then go for a test *ride* and pay attention to the engine's noise at all times.

Then when you return to home base, and swap seats for the test *drive* portion, give the now hot engine a good listen to.

And when you return to home yet again, give it another listen. If all quiet chances are very very good the engine is ok, though of course the engine has to be free of other behavior that indicates you should walk away.

If you buy the car, give the car the TLC the previous owner failed to give it and it will love you for it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:14 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I run the oil in my 2006 Boxster S about 7,500 miles between changes. Red Line 5W40. After each oil change, oil sample gets sent to Blackstone for analysis. Results are excellent.

Did first oild change 1/2 way into break-in period (about the 1,200 mile mark).

For my 2010 oil change (October, just before winter hibernation), I am going to try Mobil 1's 5W50.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 PM
scossett
2nd Gear

Hi guys,
New to the forum..........I have a 2008 cayenne but am an idiot when it comes to cars. How often am i supposed to get my oil changed? I kept getting told different things at the garage. Please PM me if you know the answer. Thanks so much
Old 01-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by scossett
Hi guys,
New to the forum..........I have a 2008 cayenne but am an idiot when it comes to cars. How often am i supposed to get my oil changed? I kept getting told different things at the garage. Please PM me if you know the answer. Thanks so much
At least change the oil/filter as often as the owners manual calls for. I do not have one for an 08 Cayenne.

You might need to change it oftener depending: Lots of short trips; lots of idling; pulling a trailer; driving in dusty/dirty areas; high ambient temperature; and high humidty; some or all of these consitutue "severe" usage and warrant more frequent oil/filter services but also more frequent engine air filter and cabin filter services, maybe even more frequent transmission and differential fluid changes as well.

I like 5K miles for my cars: 02 Boxster, 03 Turbo. Have over 227K miles on the 02 Boxster and it runs as good today as it ever did and it has received 5K oil/filter services (and more frequent other services) since day one. Turbo gets 5K mile oil/filter services too, since I bought it used in June last year with 9500 or so miles on it. 26K miles now.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:26 PM
scossett
2nd Gear

Thanks Macster.....much appreciated
Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 AM
DLennox
Banned

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Not all oil change info will show up on a CarFax.
Carfax misses as much as it catches. It is one of the biggest scams out there. Representing information as complete and accurate and charging people $30 to get it should be illegal.
Carfax does not show things done by people/garages that don't report to Carfax. They also don't show information from rental cars. Most rental companies are self insured so they don't report to anyone what they do to a vehicle.
The best information to collect on a car is a dealerships service records and the previous owners records.....
Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 AM
00r101
Racer

THere is no reason to be concerned with that interval. However since Porsches are driven fewer miles per year than average, make sure they changed the oil once per year. Also you want to see a brake fluid change every two years.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 00r101
THere is no reason to be concerned with that interval. However since Porsches are driven fewer miles per year than average, make sure they changed the oil once per year. Also you want to see a brake fluid change every two years.
Didn't Porsche stop recommending annual oil changes after 2003? For 987s, I'm pretty sure Porsche recommends 2 years or 20,000 miles between oil changes.

If ever in doubt of Porsche's recommend intervals, you can always send in an oil sample for testing.
Originally Posted by racer
Now comes the part where everyone throws in an opinion.. every 3K miles? every 5k? mabe 7.5k? 10k? The owner does no damage replacing it at factory recommended intervals. If you want to change it more frequently based on use or intuition, then that's fine too. Many out here will encourage more frequent changing.
Has anyone ever offered actual scientific data supporting more frequent oil changes on a non-tracked Porsche, or just superstitions based on decades of driving cars that actually did need 3k or 5k oil changes to stay reliable?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Didn't Porsche stop recommending annual oil changes after 2003? For 987s, I'm pretty sure Porsche recommends 2 years or 20,000 miles between oil changes.

If ever in doubt of Porsche's recommend intervals, you can always send in an oil sample for testing. Has anyone ever offered actual scientific data supporting more frequent oil changes on a non-tracked Porsche, or just superstitions based on decades of driving cars that actually did need 3k or 5k oil changes to stay reliable?
Has anyone offered any actual scientific data supporting 12,000, 15,000 or 20,000 miles between oil changes?

Or is the ever increasing number of miles between service intervals just Porche joining in on the global war on auto maintenance?

Car mags reviewers simply gush over long term cars that do not require early servicing.

It is worse: In a few cases some long term cars have entered a car mag's logn term test fleet and racked up nearly 20K miles in their time in the mag's long term test fleet without requiring even an oil service. Car mag reviewers comment favorably on this too.

All car makers are seeking ways of softening the blow of ever higher car prices and one way is to sell the car on needing less servicing. Or sell the car with servicing thrown in for "free" and then issue a service schedule that specifies extremely long distances between service intervals.

These ever longer service intervals are nothing more than sales and marketing BS and are not at all for the benefit of the car and not at all for the long term benefit of the car owner.

If a car owner plans on not keeping the car more than few years, then service the car following the factory extended service interval schedules and hope one can find someone to buy the car sans frequent servicing when it comes time to sell the car.

Or be faced with simply trading the car in for another car.

Those that lease have it best I guess. When it comes time simply turn the car in.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I'll take that as a "no, no data." Have you sent in your oil at 3k or 5k? What has the lab said about the life of the oil?

Porsche says 15k and 20k for newer models. I think it's safe to assume they have just a *little* data to back this up. The data points are small enough to simply be anecdotal, but the oil analysis I've seen certainly back this up. (Also, Porsche, being concerned about maint costs to the point of a secret conspiracy between the marketing department and sales departments twisting the technical department's arm to lie? Are you serious?)

As you've observed, there are distinct advantages to extending service intervals. Which is why the car manufactures are designing their cars for the longer intervals. Today's technology is a lot more advanced than it was in the 70s and 80s- is it that hard to imagine synthetic oils that last 20,000 miles?

Last edited by sjfehr; 02-08-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:21 AM
00r101
Racer

I don't really have a problem with 15K miles (wouldn't do it myself, however). My real problem is the 2 year interval. A car that puts on few miles still has combustion acids in the oil for 2 years. Seals dry from sitting and then are exposed to a nasty brew of lubricants and acids. Also oil detergents degrade over time. It's so cheap to change your own oil (about $80) why not do it once per year. And getting under the car once a year can really help spot things like bad CV joints, IMS, leaky shocks, etc. long before they become disasters. Synthetics are no better at neutralizing combustion acids than dino oils.

Look, we know that Porsche does not really care what happens to the car after it is out of the warranty period. We know that the motor will usually stay together for more than 40K miles even if you do nothing to it. We know that companies are under pressure to recommend less frequent service intervals. Are you really so trusting that Porsche's service recommendations are truly altruistic and coming purely from engineering data?

Quick Reply: Oil change interval for 05 "S"