Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price check

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price check

My friend is on the verge of buying an 08 Cayman, 100 miles, following options;
18" cayman s wheels
sport chron package chrome exhausts
5 speed
i think it lists for around $59k, he is buying for 40k, is this a good deal?

thanks
Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:00 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When does the warranty clock start ticking?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
When does the warranty clock start ticking?
its been ticking, so 2 years left, thx for the answers

cheers
Old 12-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
My friend is on the verge of buying an 08 Cayman, 100 miles, following options;
18" cayman s wheels
sport chron package chrome exhausts
5 speed
i think it lists for around $59k, he is buying for 40k, is this a good deal?

thanks
Depends upon the market now. Earlier this year dealers were offering similar cars (Boxsters, Caymans) at $20K off list, which put some base Caymans down under $40K. I saw some, could have bought some at around $38K.

While the car your friend is considering has the about the same miles as these cars, the car is another year older (now that the 2010's are out) so there should be even more depreciation.

OTOH, there are just a few of these cars around now and a dealer is not going to go belly up if it fails to sell the car for $40K vs.$39K or $38K.

Then one doesn't know how much flooring cost the dealer has in the car and he probably would like to recoup that.

Advise your friend to consider offering less. (Price is not a fact only an opinion.)

Consider this: Most likely car was "punched' and the warranty clock started running when the car was punched. Your friend should ask the dealer when the warranty clock started running and the dealer should tell him, give him something in writing when this started.

If your friend is the kind of owner/driver who'll drive the car alot and the remaining warranty time is sufficient for him to get near 50K miles on the car before it expires, that's one thing. ("New" car problems appear from miles driven not time car sits unused on driveway or in garage.)

If your friend can't or won't ( and I can't blame him ) drive 50K miles in the remaining warranty time, then if the dealer won't extend the warranty -- in writing! -- the car comes with less than the 4 year, 50K mile warranty and this affects the car's value.

Next, car was built -- look at door tag -- probably in late 2007 early 2008. Oil is due to a change based on time.

Tires are going on 2 to 3 years old. (Look at manufacturing date on tires -- there are sites which will help your friend interpret this info). Porsche considers tires past their use by date after 6 years. And I would insist upon an alignment.

Battery's probably been run down more than once, maybe even replaced (and maybe not even with a Porsche OEM battery).

Brake fluid should be flushed and bled after 2 years, even though car has only been driven 100 miles.

All of the above to me were I interested in the car could justify offering even less.

Or get selling dealer's written agreement to have all of the above done at no cost to your friend as a pre-condition of his purchasing the car at the advertised price.

Provided he really likes the car and it checks out ok. (Even a "new" car can have had paint/body work done: New cars get banged up on the lot, during a test drive, even in transmit on a truck or train car.) I'd consider having the car PPI'd by another dealer's service department or by a qualified indy shop just to sure there's no skeleton in the closet for this car.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Price check