Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dennison iPod and Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:30 PM
MAPC
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dennison iPod and Bluetooth

Do any of you have these items installed in your 987? I would love to have the functionality but would like to hear from some that might be using it to see if it is as good as it appears.

ALSO- can anyone tell me about the installation process? I am NOT particularly handy and am wondering if I will need to find a shop to do this for me or whether or not it is really easy to install.

THANKS!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're looking for basic, yet high audio quality, iPod integration, you should look at Alpine DPR-RDS1. A couple months back I installed the Alpine DPR-RDS1 with my '08 S with Bose. It uses FM modulator (via the antenna plug, not OTA). Because CDR-24 supports RDS, the album, artist and song name are also displayed (scrolling) on the radio and the information LCD. I noticed RDS didn't work with 3 or 4 yr old ipods (e.g., w/ 20G mcirodrive) and simply displays ATTACHED. RDS does works with newer ipods & iPhone. The unit also charges early ipods/iphones, with the exception of the 3GS.

The audio is excellent, there is no feedback/echo as it completely overpowers anything in the one of the 4 preset frequencies. Where I live, 88.7 is used at night by one of the radio stations (with strong, stereo signal). The Alpine unit completely over-powers the OTA station. You cannot hear the other station when you pause the ipod or switching between songs - even if you have the radio turned up loud. I really like it. I use the iPod to control the ... well, the ipod. If you simply need something for trips or, in my case, when the SO is in the car and wants to listen to his/her songs, I would go with the Alpine unit. The Alpine unit ($99 on Amazon w/ free S&H), antenna adapter ($15 on ebay).

Of course, this unit doesn't do some of things the Denison unit offers (i think only a couple of shortfalls - feature wise), but it's $100 and works great. Do a search on some videos of this unit posted to the web.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
MAPC
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Alpine unit

I saw that but it doesn't solve my Bluetooth issue. I am looking for Bluetooth connectivity for my phone.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your PM.

Quick Reply: Dennison iPod and Bluetooth