Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you had an IMS problem with your 996, 997, 986, 987
Yes
25.71%
No
71.43%
Unsure, so replaced just in case
2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Who has had an IMS failure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who has had an IMS failure?

Porsche makes greater boxer motors, but seems like every one has an Achilles heel (993 SAI, 3.2 valve guides, 2.7 broken studs, 964 leaking head etc).

I'm interested in acquiring a water pumper but this known IMS (intermediate shaft) failure issue is giving me pause.

So I'm trying to understand how real and widespread this problem is, so please share the following:

Yes, I have had an IMS problem (not someone you know, but you)
And my solution was
a)Repaired (Cost associated please)
b)Replaced engine (Cost associated please)
c)Got rid of the vehicle (sold, trade, charity, parts vehicle, etc)
d)Something else (Please share your story)

I realize this topic has been covered numerous times (yes search is my friend), but my hope is to get an answer w/o the hype. Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had it in a c4s 2004 996 engine - just blew up in a car wash bay - i had no real notice.

fixed under warranty and the dealership was great but i would not want to have had it happen outside warranty.

didn't stop me from the RS 60 though - but i think it was partially behind me dumping the C4s 2 months after the ims failure/repair.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From reading a bit on various sources, it appears that Porsche beefed up the Intermediate Shaft bearing for the 2006 model year. It'll be interesting to see if this larger bearing leads to fewer IMS issues.

Jay
08 987
90 911
84 911
Old 12-22-2009, 10:05 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

I had an IMS failure on my '05 987S last November. Dealer convinced PCNA to replace the motor rather than repair it, so I got all the "fixes" for that design. Whole thing was covered under warranty and I was given a rental for a few weeks while the car was diagnosed and a new engine shipped and installed.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jake Raby, an M96 engine rebuilder in Georgia has made a host of replacement parts that have proven to be fragile in our motors. This includes cam tensioner arms and the notorious IMS bearing. BTW it can be replaced from outside the motor. It requires pulling the trans and flywheel, so if you do a clutch job, it is a good time to replace it with one of his aftermarket bearings.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:32 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only here but in other posts, I read, "dealer took care of it" or something to the equivalent...c'mon....WHAT would it have costed if they had not...those figures must have gone past you on some paperwork, not everyone is under original warranty still......some have none, some purchased "extended" warranties....(for what they are worth....&^&$%^^&^^@#$!!!!)
Old 01-17-2010, 12:35 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

They figure you see when the "dealer took care of it" is quite different than what'll hit you if its your pocket book on the line. My dealer expended a lot of extra labor to make sure I got a new motor instead of repairing it themselves -- this way I got all the latest updates rather than a fix for this one problem, which was PCNA's policy at the time. That's labor I wouldn't have paid; I would have simply replaced the motor and avoided a lot of hours of labor I didn't need. So, the number I saw that went to PCNA is kinda meaningless. But if you just have to know, it was a little under $20K.

A scary number, yes. And not the only failure I've on this car -- if Porsche wanted to take a strict reading of the warranty they probably could have disallowed some other things they've covered. But they haven't, they've stood behind their product and that's a big part of why I spent >$100K on my 997. I've gotten far better treatment from them than BMW or Toyota ever gave me and I'm happy and I don't worry about this failure happening again.

Quick Reply: Who has had an IMS failure?