Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left-Over 2008 Base Demo

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left-Over 2008 Base Demo

I am a new poster and very glad to be here!

A Porsche dealer has a left-over 2008 base Cayman- listed under "New Inventory"-a photo has a "demonstrator" sign on it. The build date was March, 2008 and it has been sitting on the lot for at least a year. MSRP was $56,000. I was thinking of offering $40k and going up to $43k max.

The car has few desirable options for serious Cayman people: Tiptronic, 17" wheels, climate control, xenon lights, wheel caps and mats.

I am 64 and don't mind getting a "Porsche light" experience. No racing. No track.

I would like some opinions as to my offering price range. The car is Carrera White, blue interior.

Also should I ask for a ppi and rev history-not sure how many miles it has on it.

Any opinions on whether a car like this qualifies for the 1.9% Porsche financing since it is listed as a new vehicle?

Should the dealer provide me with an extended warranty since in all likelihood the warranty has been punched using up considerable warranty time.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't worry about the Porsche "light" thought when it comes to the track. I have a base and although it won't keep up with an "S" model, it will still run away from several other marks. You will still enjoy the car!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:22 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to check on the Used Car value estimators (like KBB, Edmunds, etc) to see what value they assign the car in your area - even though it is listed as New, if it has been used extensively as a Demo or loaner car, then you should be negotiating for it as a Used car IMO. How many miles does it have on it?

A PPI might be a good idea if it has a lot of miles on it; you could have the dealer pull the over-rev data, but since it is a Tiptronic, you probably won't find any significant over-revs there. I don't know if they can offer to give it a "Certified Pre-Owned" (CPO) warranty, since it was never actually sold to anyone, but I would certainly ask for it - especially if they aren't budging much on the price. Since it is a Gen 1 model, I'm sure they are pretty eager to sell it.

No need to apologize for your choice either - hope it works out for you.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:31 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim in St.Louis
Don't worry about the Porsche "light" thought when it comes to the track. I have a base and although it won't keep up with an "S" model, it will still run away from several other marks. You will still enjoy the car!
Thanks, Jim.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:44 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Hey KS-CS.

I plugged the numbers for 500 miles into Edmunds used car values and I got almost $44k for "clean" and $45k for outstanding. I'm just guessing on the mileage. I would think a left-over 2008 with a March 2008 build, they could be flexible on the price. Maybe not- since they have four 2008 Caymans listed as "new inventory".

Curious that they list this Cayman under new inventory, yet one of the photos clearly has a "demonstrator" sign in it-probably 3 years of warranty left.

When I drive it and I find that I really like it, I will ask about CPOing it, on their dime.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:20 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

I contacted the dealer and he told me the 2008 base Cayman has 4328 miles on it (!!!!) and it was being sold CPO even though it was listed under "new inventory". The asking price is $47,895 and Edmunds CPO price is $46,755.

I wouldn't deal with them-listing it under new inventory with 4328 miles is not something I'm comfortable with.

I've seen 2008 CPO Caymans with that much mileage selling for under $40k. Seems like they are looking for $45k-$46k-not from me.

I can see why the vehicle is just sitting there.

Dealer should re-name itself "Titanic Porsche".
Old 11-17-2009, 06:30 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by hpowders
I contacted the dealer and he told me the 2008 base Cayman has 4328 miles on it (!!!!) and it was being sold CPO even though it was listed under "new inventory". The asking price is $47,895 and Edmunds CPO price is $46,755.

I wouldn't deal with them-listing it under new inventory with 4328 miles is not something I'm comfortable with.

I've seen 2008 CPO Caymans with that much mileage selling for under $40k. Seems like they are looking for $45k-$46k-not from me.

I can see why the vehicle is just sitting there.

Dealer should re-name itself "Titanic Porsche".
I wouldn't necessarily let that throw you, if you like the car. The Lexus I bought for my wife was a Demo with over 7000 miles on it, but the dealer had to sell it as new, because technically, the title had never transferred from the dealer. Of course, I negotiated for it as a used car where the price/condition was concerned.

I'm not surprised that a Demo has that many miles on it, and if they throw in the CPO, so much the better - at least it's already broken in.

You might make them a low ball offer, just to see if they take it . . .
Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Thanks. KS-CS.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Offer them 38,000 and see where they are. They need to get the car off the floorplan. They should give you the 100,000 mile warrenty. This car was probably a loaner for the service department as well as a demo. These are great cars and you will enjoy it for many years. BTW I am also 64 and have a 2010 on order. It is on the boat now. I am moving down from a 911S and very excited. Not that the 911 was not perfect. I needed the PDK because of a back problem.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:53 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Here's the deal. The car listed in "new inventory" as a 2008 base Cayman has 4328 miles on it and is being offered CPO, asking price, $47,895.
This is so totally out of whack with reality that I had two words for the dealer- "not interested."

With such a high asking price, he gave me no room for me to negotiate. I saw a 2008 base Cayman, CPO, better equipped, 12,000 miles, in a neighboring state listed as $36,000 "must sell" and sell it did-quickly.

This dealer will never sell it.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by hpowders
I am a new poster and very glad to be here!

A Porsche dealer has a left-over 2008 base Cayman- listed under "New Inventory"-a photo has a "demonstrator" sign on it. The build date was March, 2008 and it has been sitting on the lot for at least a year. MSRP was $56,000. I was thinking of offering $40k and going up to $43k max.

The car has few desirable options for serious Cayman people: Tiptronic, 17" wheels, climate control, xenon lights, wheel caps and mats.

I am 64 and don't mind getting a "Porsche light" experience. No racing. No track.

I would like some opinions as to my offering price range. The car is Carrera White, blue interior.

Also should I ask for a ppi and rev history-not sure how many miles it has on it.

Any opinions on whether a car like this qualifies for the 1.9% Porsche financing since it is listed as a new vehicle?

Should the dealer provide me with an extended warranty since in all likelihood the warranty has been punched using up considerable warranty time.

Thanks for the help!
Fremont (CA) Porsche dealership had some "demo" Caymans and Boxsters listed a few weeks back. One is 09 Cayman at $54955 discounted to $48988. I bet one could get this car for less than the advertised price.

Another dealer in Redwood City CA (just across the bay from the Fremont dealership) had some listed for sale as well.

Base Caymans were going for $20K under sticker earlier this year. Cars listed as "demos" but with just over factory delivery miles. Sure, a few had more miles but some had under 100 miles.

In April this year, I bought a "demo" Cayman S with under 80 miles on it for $12K off of sticker and got a better than "book" trade in allowance for my 06 GTO.

Base Cayman a fine car and one that probably has -- like its base Boxster counterpart -- the best balance of power, handing, braking, performance of any car on the road.

I've put over 226K miles on my base 02 Boxster and it has been a fine fine automobile.

Plenty fast enough, covers miles like no body's business -- I sometimes drive it 500 to nearly 1000 miles in one day when on long road trips cross country -- and delivers good gas mileage and running costs -- servicing and tires, etc. -- are quite reasonable. I do my own oil changes and brakes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:08 PM
vrusso
Advanced

hpowders,
here in the northeast, leftover 08 and 09 caymans (09's are much more desirable) are selling for 20% off msrp. good luck!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:36 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Left-Over 2008 Base Demo