Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob, VERY CLOSE to pulling trigger on '09 CS w/PDK

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM
agu845
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob, VERY CLOSE to pulling trigger on '09 CS w/PDK

Like i suspect all of you, I love cars. Breathe them, never tire reading about them, but most my life I was too poor to have a nice one. All through college and med school I drove schlock Japanese econo boxes. knowing some day..... first 'nice car' B6 Audi S4. Lots of powa compared to the 4cyl nissans. modded it, but it was heavy and crappy. then i bought an RS6. much nicer ride and more power, but that AT sucked more than I could possibly describe... at the same time I picked up a fun cheap car in addition to the Audi: E36 M3 vert, and promptly added twin-screw SC good for 400 whp. Now we're talking, but neither rs6 nor the vert make good track cars.

I did some car control clinics, and then this past aug i crossed the Rubicon at Brainerd International raceway, when I did a full-out track day with an instructor in the vert. The local BMW and Audi club events don't allow verts, but the BIR school did. So now I am totally hooked, but hardly a good driver. Working on smoothness braking and such, like any noob.

As a noob, I think mid engine, well balanced, light PDK-equipped makes perfect sense. Focus on the line and braking. I had been thinking about a 996 GT3 as their prices are waaay down, but for me, whose total high speed track time is 6 hours, probably not a good choice, esp. since I need it to be a good dd too.

So aside from introducing myself, I am looking for input stories about this car on the track. Pls. regale me with your exploits and generally tell me I am doing the right thing. Funny thing, the internet: taking advice from total strangers, but I have leaned so much from the Audi, BMW and MB forums, i figured I'd continue here.....

thanks - Art

Last edited by agu845; 11-01-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing your story - I think you would find the Cayman to be a great daily driver and track car. I have had my 06 CS for over 2 1/2 years now, and it is my DD year round (well, I do switch to my SUV if the snow is over 4" deep). It is a very practical sports car, with lots of room. I suspect it would probably be a better DD than a GT3.

I did my 1st DE a few months after I got it, and I have been hooked since. I've now done over 2 dozen track days with mine, and never ceased to be amazed and thrilled by its performance and handling. I don't think you can fully appreciate how great a Porsche is, until you take it on the track, where you can explore its capabilities in a safe and legal fashion (and, living in KS as I do, there aren't any interesting roads to drive on anyway).

I have a hard time understanding guys who buy Porsches, and then rarely take them out of the garage - I waited 35 years for my first Porsche, and intend to get my money's worth from it on the road and track, not just admiring it in the garage (which I also do ).

Take one out for a good test drive - but be forewarned, you may not be able to say no to the salesman.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you're absolutely on the right track. It sounds like a PDK CS would be a great choice based on your needs. I also recently made the move from a convertible to a coupe for my track car and it makes a world of difference.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,065 Likes on 549 Posts

I purchased an 09 Cayman S with PDK and really like the car. Up until now I have always owned cars with manual transmissions. On the track I think the PDK is hard to beat.

Quick Reply: Noob, VERY CLOSE to pulling trigger on '09 CS w/PDK