Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Vs Cayman S for the track and autocross

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:20 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Cayman Vs Cayman S for the track and autocross

Want to preserve my track prepared '83SC so i'm looking for a new toy for mild tracking and autocross. The two contenders are the 2010 Cayman and or the 2010 Cayman S. whichever car would be optioned the same. PDK, Limited slip, Sport bucket seats, factory fire bottle and blue tooth. Yes I would have ot order 18" wheels with the Cayman but in either case the wheels would be replaced with 18" forged wheels (weight and strength.). Yes there is more power in the Cayman S but more weight. While the 3.4 Cayman S engine has direct fuel injection and the 2.9 Cayman engine does not they both have the same oil distribution system which is a great improvement over th first generation. so now i have stated my question and now I look for comments and or darts.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you are familiar with the features of each model. IMHO you can't go wrong with either one.

Probably not a big factor, but you mentioned AX. One area to consider is what class each car would go into and what the competition is like there.

Also, if it is a dual use car, you might want to consider PASM. It would also be of some advantage in AX if you plan on keeping it stock.

Maybe you should just buy one of each and compare?
Old 10-03-2009, 07:26 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave DE
I'm sure you are familiar with the features of each model. IMHO you can't go wrong with either one.

Probably not a big factor, but you mentioned AX. One area to consider is what class each car would go into and what the competition is like there.

Also, if it is a dual use car, you might want to consider PASM. It would also be of some advantage in AX if you plan on keeping it stock.

Maybe you should just buy one of each and compare?
Appreciate your comment Dave, even the one about buying one of each. All things considered I am leaning towards the Cayman and not the S . I have other cars so this will be basically a toy and thus the lower cost is a factor. Yes I plan to keep it stock. Once you start the mods it can get out of hand and you can reduce the later marketability of the car. I have spent quite a bit to personalize the "SC" basically cloning it to a RS Carerra but that is a keeper anyway. My Son will get it someday. So anyone else with comments
Old 10-03-2009, 12:45 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PDK YUK Manual only
Old 10-03-2009, 01:49 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Base with PASM?

tino

Quick Reply: Cayman Vs Cayman S for the track and autocross