Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squealing brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:54 PM
zeus32
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squealing brakes?

hey everyone,

i got a brand new 2009 cayman s a couple of days ago and i get an intermitten squeal when i come to a stop. doesn't happen every time, primarily in the mornings, but its a pretty loud squeal for a good 5-10 feet before my stop. i called the dealer and service and was told that when the car is on the lot for a while, dust and other dirt particles can build up and can cause the noise. they advised me to drive down a hill at high speed and come to a quick stop to free the dust up.

anyone else have this experience? should i insist that service put the the car up and take a look?

thanks.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:03 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have you done what they said ?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:54 PM
zeus32
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have, but it still squeaks every few stoplights.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You need to really get on the brakes. I mean, really. That will solve your problem. When you don't use these brakes hard enough, you will develop a glaze over the pad surface or rotor which leads to the squeal. Try late braking,--brake later than you normally would,--and then really put the brakes on. In time you will find that happy medium between getting good brake wear, and no noise. Enjoy!
Old 10-17-2009, 01:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus32
hey everyone,

i got a brand new 2009 cayman s a couple of days ago and i get an intermitten squeal when i come to a stop. doesn't happen every time, primarily in the mornings, but its a pretty loud squeal for a good 5-10 feet before my stop. i called the dealer and service and was told that when the car is on the lot for a while, dust and other dirt particles can build up and can cause the noise. they advised me to drive down a hill at high speed and come to a quick stop to free the dust up.

anyone else have this experience? should i insist that service put the the car up and take a look?

thanks.
You can try accelerating car up to speed (safely) and slowing car rather agressively. (I replaced my Boxster's brakes (rotors and pads) the other day and did this and slowed the car hard enough I could hear the tires emit a bit of a squeal. Do *NOT* bring car to a complete stop. Not the 1st time or the last, until you have driven the car long enough the brakes have cooled down.

Slow car to say 30 miles per hour then repeat the process one to several times.

You should feel the brakes starting to bite harder after one to several of the slow downs.

Before you do this, check brake rotors to ensure the holes in the rotor are clear. If they are not clear you'll have to clean them. My Turbo's rotors had their holes filled and I took car to car wash and used the rinse spray setting to blast the holes clean. You don't want to put the nozzle right up against where the pads and rotors come together. Move the car forward or backwards to uncover the holes hidden by the pads and calipers.

Be sure to drive the car afterwards and use the brakes enough to dry them, then do the operation I described above.

If the brakes still squeal afterwards then you can speak to the dealer. It may be the car sat long enough and enough rust developed on the rotos that when the car was driven and the brakes used the rust affected the pad and rotor interface and the brakes squeak and will always squeak. New pads and rotors or possibly having the rotors lightly surfaced will eliminate the squeal.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:51 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If macster's advice does not work, try getting it up to speed and safely inducing the ABS a couple of times and then drive around to let things cool off. My cayman cabriolet PDK exhibited this the first few weeks before jamming on the brakes. They no longer pretend they are out of the movie Deliverance.

Quick Reply: squealing brakes?