Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistle noise from passenger side view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:59 PM
mastrandrea
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whistle noise from passenger side view mirror

I am looking for some "technical" help. Not sure if anyone can help but perhaps someone can steer me to someone who can. I have a 2006 987 Boxster. When I have the top and windows down and travel at +50mph, a distinct whistle emits from my passenger side view mirror. It is fairly loud and quite annoying. When the passenger moves the passenger the side view mirror slightly (the whole housing unit, not just the mirror) the whistle goes away. Or if I keep the passenger window up the whistle goes away.

I've taken my car to my local Porsche dealer to correct this problem three times over the last two months. Only to find that the problem has not been fixed and the whistle is still present. I am exasperated. I know Boxsters aren't designed to emit a whistle at +50mph speeds. Any suggestions? I've lost confidence in my local dealer's ability to address my problem.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:06 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

This is/was a common issue on the early 987. You're dealer should know the solution, as there was probably a "Technical Service Bulletin" issued that walks the tech through the steps to eliminate the noise. That's assuming the noise you are experiencing is from the common area of the horizontal seam or split in mirror housing. A simple way to tell if the seam is in fact the culprit is to place a piece of tape over the seam and see if the sound goes away. Some have DIY'd a solution by running a bead of clear silicone caulking in the seam, but I'm sure Porsche must have come out with a retrofit gasket to quiet the noise.

Do a search in the 997 or 987 forums for "mirror whistle" and you will find more info.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
mastrandrea
3rd Gear

Thanks! I will try your suggestion. I'd like to think my dealer fully researched the potential cause of noise. I had to drive with the tech the third time so he agreed there was a noise. He really poo poo'ed it when he heard it too, saying all convertibles make some noise. That really rubbed me the wrong way. I'm trying to be pleasant to the dealer, but now I'm on the verge of getting irrate. Do you think I can get access to the possible Technical Srvice Bulletin somehow?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:01 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

join renntech.org and you can access most Porsche TSB's - also worth searching there ... if its a common issue, its probably on that board as well
Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 PM
mastrandrea
3rd Gear

Bingo. I put some tape along split in mirror housing and noise went away. Tape just along horizontal seam did not correct noise. Hopefully now Porsche can implement a more permanent correction. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Whistle noise from passenger side view mirror