Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remus + fabspeed are on. Yay! No more mods this year.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:08 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Remus + fabspeed are on. Yay! No more mods this year.

I spent Saturday afternoon and part of Sunday morning installing the Remus muffler + Fabspeed header (race cat) system. In spite of wrenching in the hot Florida weather, this project was well worth the effort/time.
Overall, it pretty loud exhaust system (not the Harley bike loud, but comparable to the loudness of a street version of the GT3). This combination produces a nice deep rumble at idle, and makes a nice sporty tone as you accelerate up the RPM. When I lift on gas or downshift, I can even hear a little bit of burbling in the exhaust. Sound-bites to follow.

Here is what the back of the car looks like now.

Initial Impression:
At the lower RPM (2000 - 3000rpm), there is a bit of "drone" - to the point where you'll need to turn up the radio or speak up if you're having a conversation. Personally, it doesn't bother me too much since I don't drive in that range for extended periods of time. When cruising @ 3000rpm (~75mph), I would say car is as quite as stock (my fiancee wasn't annoyed, so thumbs up to that) and NPR comes through radio without turning up the volume.

Modifications to Remus:
I had the mid-pipe and the exhaust tips ceramic coated flat black (withstand to 2000 degrees). I doubt the pipes will ever get 1/2 that hot, but since the mid-pipes are so closed to brake lines and some other suspension parts... I figured I'd get them coated. I also had the polished Remus exhaust tips coated flat black and that's really just for cosmetic reasons. As great looking as the polished tips are, I wanted to keep the car to a simple Speed Yellow/Black theme. Plus, the lazy part of me don't have to spend time polishing them.

Here are the tips on the car:

I had the parts coated @ Hot Shot Perf Coating in Davie, FL. Greg did a great job @ a very reasonable price, and he was very responsive even though I only needed to coat 4 pieces (small job compared to bigger orders they have in queue). If you're looking to have parts coated in SoFL (I guess you can mail him the parts too if you can't find someone local)... I would definitely recommend them.

I told myself (and my fiancee) that I'm done with modding the car this year, with the exception of the ipod integration and V1 hardware. We'll see how well I stick to that plan.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 820 Likes on 453 Posts

Very Nice. Love the tips! Great job. I have the same color comborbut a 2009 base car. Ordered a PSE exhaust but am looking at Fabspeed exhaust too. Curious tho why did you use Remus tips though? How much drone are you referring to? Is it annoying or not? Can you email a sound clip? I'd love to hear it. Fabspeeds site only has 2008 or earlier posted unfortunately.

You'll be modding again soon...don't kid yourself! LOL It'll be wheels or brakes or something. As for ipod intergration check out denision Gateway500 at www.bumperplugs.com and cartronics setups. http://www.cartronics.com/Porsche.html. I almost pulled the trigger with the cartronics setup as you can get ipod, bluetooth AND satelite radio relatively easily. Price and the fact that I wanted NAV kept me back so I went with a full aftermarket Pioneer set up. Check my post in the 987 forum on it for pics.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:56 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Very Nice. Love the tips! Great job. I have the same color comborbut a 2009 base car. Ordered a PSE exhaust but am looking at Fabspeed exhaust too. Curious tho why did you use Remus tips though? How much drone are you referring to? Is it annoying or not? Can you email a sound clip? I'd love to hear it. Fabspeeds site only has 2008 or earlier posted unfortunately.
Good luck!
mdrob, the system is made up of Fabspeed header combined with Remus muffler. I heard some clips of the Remus and I really liked the sporty sound, so I was pretty much set on the Remus muffler. Then I wanted high flow cat with better headers. Header options are fairly limited. For what I want to spend, Fabspeed offers the best bang of the buck for headers - compared to say, Cargraphic header/race cat units @ $3000+). So, thus I ended up with Remus tips (and the Remus muffler).

For me, I don't find the sound annoying at all. My fiancee doesn't mind the system, and actually likes the sound/tone (at least that what she tells me ). I'll do some sound capture this wkend and post them here, and send you a link as well. I find the system drones only when I "load the engine"... so, if I'm going alone at 2500 rpm and presses down on the gas to accelerate "fast", I'll get the drone until about 3000 rpm. I don't find it annoying because it's more sporty sound, rather than drone that induce vibration of interior parts or license plate - if that makes sense. I also noticed the system doesn't shake the car/seat at idle (same as stock) or at speed. Overall, very happy with this setup. And the coated tips really give the visual appeal of this system.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:21 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Yeah the coated tips are the bomb...wouldn't even know where to start around here with that. Mine I want to be powder coated and brushed maybe NOT chrome so it is something I'll look at. The Boxster base 2.9 engine has that ugly single exit pipe which I'll have to change out no matter which exhaust I get. The PSE that's on order is I think around $2600 installed and does have the on and off switch which is nice plus being stock. However a significant savings on weight and cost maybe worth looking at Fabspeed's offerings. Haven't heard or seen anything from Remus yet...you have a link?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yeah the coated tips are the bomb...wouldn't even know where to start around here with that. Mine I want to be powder coated and brushed maybe NOT chrome so it is something I'll look at. The Boxster base 2.9 engine has that ugly single exit pipe which I'll have to change out no matter which exhaust I get. The PSE that's on order is I think around $2600 installed and does have the on and off switch which is nice plus being stock. However a significant savings on weight and cost maybe worth looking at Fabspeed's offerings. Haven't heard or seen anything from Remus yet...you have a link?
I just looked at the Remus site, but doesn't look like they have anything for the 2009 MY yet. So, if you are looking to do exhaust right away, I guess your options are limited to PSE and Fabspeed.

This is the video that got me hooked on Remus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P6_cxbxq1k

For the exhaust tips, you'll want to do ceramic coating, rather than powder coating. Ceramic coating will last much longer on exhaust parts. If you can't find anyone local to do ceramic coating, you can ship the part(s) out and get them done.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:17 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lithium1330
I just looked at the Remus site, but doesn't look like they have anything for the 2009 MY yet. So, if you are looking to do exhaust right away, I guess your options are limited to PSE and Fabspeed.

This is the video that got me hooked on Remus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P6_cxbxq1k

For the exhaust tips, you'll want to do ceramic coating, rather than powder coating. Ceramic coating will last much longer on exhaust parts. If you can't find anyone local to do ceramic coating, you can ship the part(s) out and get them done.
You're right. Sounds very nice. Much better than stock even though the Cayman makes what 10hp more than your car I am sure the sound difference is the same. Make me wish I could have found a 2009 Boxster S in my car/color combo! LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 06:51 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Yeah am gonna pull the trigger on Fabspeed or PSE probably when I get a chance later on. Gotta leave on some business 1st on short notice.

Quick Reply: Remus + fabspeed are on. Yay! No more mods this year.