Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just saw the Rothmans Cayman HSR Racecar

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:41 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just saw the Rothmans Cayman HSR Racecar

at VIR this weekend and all I can say is that it's one hell of a package and very fast right out of the box...

If I only had a spare 85K
Old 09-07-2009, 03:55 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It was truly quite fast, closing on GT3s steadily as I watched it over the up-hill esses. If that car is $85K, it is a bargain IMO.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:39 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I went over and talked to the guys including the mechanic who was helping with the setup and he was saying that everything on that car is spec to the series and the only thing that you can choose is the livery which is the only additional cost to the 85K pricetag.

He said they were doing 2:07's which is very fast for a stock motor.

I also asked him about some of the problems that the Boxsters/Caymans were having in track conditions and he mentioned that was with the older motors and the issues were fixed with this new motor series and they've had no problems.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:37 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

I am truly impressed; it is an absolute bargain at that price. In terms of 2:07, it is a time that I can only dream of, but CGomez has been running similar times with his H-stock CS (old motor if I am not mistaken). I do not know the H-stock rules, but the Rothmans car 'looks' as if it has more time in it.
I just hope that the HSR cars don't really require their mechanic though
Old 09-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I missed the Rothmans car, but I saw the Lowenbrau car a lot; behind me, beside me, and in front of me, in that order. But it didn't seem to be going as fast as 2:07s.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:47 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Actually, Jim, you are right, it was not Rothman, but Lowenbrau, I don't why I keep writing Rothman, LOL.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe because Eddie said Rothmans.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
I am truly impressed; it is an absolute bargain at that price. In terms of 2:07, it is a time that I can only dream of, but CGomez has been running similar times with his H-stock CS (old motor if I am not mistaken). I do not know the H-stock rules, but the Rothmans car 'looks' as if it has more time in it.
I just hope that the HSR cars don't really require their mechanic though
I'm actually in the 2:09s (2:08s doable once I get comfort on 5th gear throughout the uphill esses), but the H Stock setup is 200-250#s heavier, uses the old engine and most importantly doesn't have the rear wing for downforce in the high speed corners (like the esses). I'm sure that once this guys fully dial in the Interseries cars they will be even faster (Closer to PCA GTB times - 997 GrandAms 2:04 at VIR).

Does anyone know if the gearbox ratios are shorter in the new Manual S? (It is in the PDK cars which helps a lot)
Old 09-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was told by Ron Barnaba, the guy from Napleton Porsche who is in charge of the Interseries cars, that the transmissions did not change in the Generation 2 cars. I asked him why they didn't choose PDK's. His response was for concern about their ability to hold up to track use. I am curious to know if his concern is deserved. I've heard the PDK transmission is bullet proof.

Quick Reply: Just saw the Rothmans Cayman HSR Racecar