Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

Just Joined The Club!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010 | 12:04 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by cfjan
Lousy pic that I took the night we got the car..

As you can see, it has the 19" Turbo rims..

Those rims look gorgeous on the Cayman, but if I may say so, the rotors don't fill them out enough.

It must make you smile walking into that garage each morning! Congrats!
Old 02-04-2010 | 01:53 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Thanks!! It is a very nice looking car for sure! We are not saving it either. Wife daily drives it and piling on the miles! (Even in the snow, hence the winter tires!)

It is a car, it is meant to be used!!
Old 02-04-2010 | 07:57 PM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Beautiful pair of porsches you have. I'm anxious to read your feedback on how the two cars compare to each other. I went to my local dealer today to look at what cpo coupes they had, and the salesman was very adamant at telling me what an incredible car the cayman s is . They had an artic sliver 08 with less than 8k on it and it was gorgeous. I'm 6'4 and although I was comfy, did'nt have the ability to recline comfortably like I do in my 911. When I am driving it like its meant to be driven, I have the seat adjusted much differently, but its nice to recline a bit when cruising/obeying the speed limit.

The salesman challenged me to race for titles and prove to me what a car it is. I know its apples to oranges, but I'm anxiously awaiting your feedback.

Congrats on your GT3 purchase, I am envious to say the least. Enjoy.

Lou
Old 04-25-2010 | 09:07 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Haven't updated here for awhile.. figured I'd do a quick update on the car!! It is my wife's daily driver so it is used in all condition! (See previous update on the snow tires) The car has been flawless! I think the only "problem" was one of the brake light (2nd time, but might have been a different bulb) went out and it was easily changed, by my wife herself, no less!! No check engine light, etc, etc. The thing is solid so far!

Check out the pic of it in action in the snow!
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2010 | 09:22 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

After put on around 7,000 miles, we took the car into the dealer for an oil change since the dealer sent out some special coupon.. oil change + detailing for $99. (Of course, if you read the fine prints, it stated that that only includes 5 qt of oil.. ha! )

I think the total ended up to be around $160-170. That's not bad. Instead of DIY, I figured that we'd keep a good relationship w/ the dealer this way.

Of course, when the service adviser called and said that the car needs new front pads (and want I think almost $400 for it), I respectfully declined. Hmm.. so much for keeping a good relationship w/ the dealer, huh?! ha! But I'm too cheap to spend that $200+ on labor..

Anyway, brake jobs on these Brembo are very simple. The hardest part is to drive the pin that holds the pads in out of the caliper (due to all the built up of dirt / tar / whatever on it). I'd suggest one put some lubricant on the pin before driving it out.. (make sure you use a brake cleaner and clean the area well afterward)

Oh, also make sure you order the right parts. Some earlier Cayman S uses 996 style pads while later ones use 997 version. In this case, the car uses the new version.
Attached Images   

Last edited by cfjan; 04-25-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2010 | 09:25 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Once the pin is out, I used my Dremel tool and clean it up a little bit.. (put on the sand paper wheel) It doesn't have to be perfect, as you can see on the pic.. Now you can see the aluminum color again! (It was all black when it came out.. !) Going back in was much easier!!
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2010 | 09:27 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

New pads in.. (and the sensors are pretty easy to remove and re-install.. don't break them!) I think it should be good for a few more yrs for my wife.. unless she starts doing DE.. ha!
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2010 | 09:37 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Hi Lou,

Sorry for the late reply! Can't really tell you much about how the 2 cars compare because:

1. It is my wife's car so I hardly drive it
2. I'm not an expert driver and I have not been to the track w/ the Cayman S (maybe I should, ha!) so I don't push it hard enough

But anyway, just some observation, I guess:

- Cayman has less space inside, as you pointed out, can't recline the seats and such, but even with the seat not being an issue (my GT3 has a roll bar on the back so I can't recline anyway), the 911 feel more spacious inside

- due to the fact that my GT3 is a 996 generation, the Cayman S has much better / more modern interior

- Cayman S exhaust note sounds "better" (I'm sure the GT3 crowd will kill me for saying that, ha!), but it almost sounds like someone was paying attention and design the sound to sound a certain way.. while GT3 was just a raw machine.. at idle, it sounds like a truck (ha, that's what my dad said.. !) and as it rushed toward redline, it started to sound angry / very mechanical sound.. while Cayman S sounds more "refined"..

- Cayman is easier to drive harder (feel very planted) by someone like me, i.e., new to 911 rear engine layout. But then, like I said, it is just street driving impression. I have not been to the track w/ the Cayman... also, the GT3 has maybe around 100hps more, so it makes it a little bit intimidating compare to the Cayman, I guess.. !

Originally Posted by Luminator
Beautiful pair of porsches you have. I'm anxious to read your feedback on how the two cars compare to each other. I went to my local dealer today to look at what cpo coupes they had, and the salesman was very adamant at telling me what an incredible car the cayman s is . They had an artic sliver 08 with less than 8k on it and it was gorgeous. I'm 6'4 and although I was comfy, did'nt have the ability to recline comfortably like I do in my 911. When I am driving it like its meant to be driven, I have the seat adjusted much differently, but its nice to recline a bit when cruising/obeying the speed limit.

The salesman challenged me to race for titles and prove to me what a car it is. I know its apples to oranges, but I'm anxiously awaiting your feedback.

Congrats on your GT3 purchase, I am envious to say the least. Enjoy.

Lou
Old 03-05-2011 | 09:08 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Bumping an old thread to update the mileage.. since it is wife's daily driver (summer + winter!), the mileage goes up quite quickly.. it went over 50k miles a couple of weeks ago..

No problem on the car.. the windshield was replaced once due to a stone. One of the front tie-rods was replaced as there was some small play (the MA inspection was being picky, but that's fine, change out worn out item is not a big deal).

Otherwise, just the basic maintenance (did oil changes twice since '09, air filter change once, front brake pads once).. looking forward to the next 50k miles!
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2011 | 05:55 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Thanks for the update.

I'm guessing it is a 2009? Any issues with the DCT? Any other mechanical issues?
Old 03-08-2011 | 12:00 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Actually, we got it used, it is a 2007.. So no PDK here..

No other mechanical issues at all.. nor electronics.. we are very pleased w/ the reliability of the product so far.. it is a CPO car, so we should be good at least until 100k (at least covered until then)..

Quick Reply: Just Joined The Club!