Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many piece of luggage can you fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many piece of luggage can you fit?

Hi, Everyone,

My wife and I are traveling to next week to all the Porsche activities on the Monterey Peninsula, including the Rolex Historics. At the completion of the weekend's events we will then take a drive down the PCH in a Boxster S.

My question to you, is what can we reasonably expect to fit for luggage in the two storage areas? Most of my seat time is in various 911s and I'm used to being able to throw stuff in the back if need be. I realize this isn't an option with the 987 and want to make sure we don't have too much luggage. I believe I know I can fit at least one full-size carry-on (22") piece of luggage in each compartment? Can I fit two in each compartment? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

John
Old 08-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default I fit a large Samsonite bag filled with 7 to 10 days worth of clothes....

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
Hi, Everyone,

My wife and I are traveling to next week to all the Porsche activities on the Monterey Peninsula, including the Rolex Historics. At the completion of the weekend's events we will then take a drive down the PCH in a Boxster S.

My question to you, is what can we reasonably expect to fit for luggage in the two storage areas? Most of my seat time is in various 911s and I'm used to being able to throw stuff in the back if need be. I realize this isn't an option with the 987 and want to make sure we don't have too much luggage. I believe I know I can fit at least one full-size carry-on (22") piece of luggage in each compartment? Can I fit two in each compartment? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

John
for me: undershorts, socks, sports shirts for each day I'm away, and 3 or 4 pairs of pants; in front trunk along with a larger soft bag like a ski bag filled with bed clothes.

Large bag goes in first on its side, bottom against back of spare tire and handle against front trunk bulkhead. Samsonite case goes on top again on side.

Both slope down and follow the slope of the front trunk. Still room to put other stuff in front trunk like shaving kit and related stuff.

Rear trunk used to hold dirty clothes in plastic bag. Sometimes I do laundry on road at hotel guest laundry and clean clothes go back in soft case, sometimes I just bring the stuff home to wash.

Also, rear trunk has room to collect newspapers -- big fan of newspapers -- and magazines I collect over the week or so I spend away from home. Room for laptop back there there too or sometimes I'll tuck it in front trunk.

Boxster has lots of room! I do not pack hard luggage though.

Oh, tried to put the two large soft bags in my 03 Turbo's front trunk and they wouldn't fit. course, no rear trunk in Turbo but put clothes soft suitcase in rear seat area. Laptop went in front trunk along with some smaller items. Other stuff went in back seat area with clothes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Mabuhay
Racer

John,

I hope this is more descriptive and provides you a definitive answer.

FRONT
2 "unexpanded" airplane carryons laid flat on top of each other
1 thin laptop bag on top of the carryons
You can put additional small purses on each side of the laptop bag.

REAR
1 "unexpanded" airplane carryon
1 large "backpack" style laptop bag capable of carrying a laptop with a 17" screen
1 loosely packed "duffel" bag that you can reshape to accommodate the remaining space unoccupied by the carryon and the laptop bag.

I firmly believe this is a lot more luggage than would be needed for 2 people, but I don't know how you pack! All I can tell you is that my wife and I had a LOT of room left when we needed to pack for a 5 day trip with cameras and tripods, shoes, a mini cooler, etc...

Good luck,
Armand
Old 08-05-2009, 01:52 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Not sure about you guys but we always manage to pack for an extra day or two because you never know when you may need that spare set of clothes due to a dinner mishap!

Also we always leave room for things we always seem to buy on our road trips and that always varies from clothing to hard goods.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Appreciate the responses. I think we'll just go with soft sided luggage, as suggested and try to keep the packing to a minimum. Worse case is we'll pack something into a box and ship it ahead of us!!!

Thanks again,

John
Old 08-21-2009, 05:18 AM
berty987
7th Gear

I bought a set of tailored luggage from roadsterbag. The front has two single cases the rear has a triangular shaped case to fit the rear trunk. I find i can carry a small suitcase in the front and the tailored case in the rear as well as a 986 spare wheel.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by berty987
I bought a set of tailored luggage from roadsterbag. The front has two single cases the rear has a triangular shaped case to fit the rear trunk. I find i can carry a small suitcase in the front and the tailored case in the rear as well as a 986 spare wheel.
Pics!?

Nevermind... I see them here...

http://www.roadsterbag.co.uk/Porsche...g-luggage.html

I can fit larger bags than these into my Boxster S.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:27 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by M3Armand
Pics!?

Nevermind... I see them here...

http://www.roadsterbag.co.uk/Porsche...g-luggage.html

I can fit larger bags than these into my Boxster S.
Trip was postponed. Leaving tomorrow. Hoping our stuff fits. Thanks again for the help!!

Quick Reply: How many piece of luggage can you fit?