Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod/Bluetooth/Sat Radio Options for 987?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:19 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Ipod/Bluetooth/Sat Radio Options for 987?

Hi. Am looking into purchase of new/delaler owned display car; a 2008 Boxster S with PCM 2/1 on board. Want to need to add ipod and Bluetooth to the car and looks to figure that aftermarket is easiest and most cost effective VS upgrade to the 2009 model and subsequently a lot more $$ and less wiggle/discount room from Porsche/dealership than the likely aftermarket would cost.

Any solutions other than Denison Gateway 500 which I had with my 05 Carrera (no longer owned) which worked great but did not have Bluetooth option available at the time of install/purchase and which I was unable to add. Also as I am a serious SAT radio junkie does anyone make or have a dedicated MOST install for Sat Radio XM or Sirrius in the car? Do they work with the Gateway 500 systems?

Thoughts? Options? All all welcome as well as general like/dislikes of your cars.

Thanks
Rob
Old 07-26-2009, 04:07 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I can tag along with another question. I have the bluetooth with my Bose system, not PCM, and an iPhone. Anyone figured out a way to download contacts from the iPhone to the CDR?
Dave
Old 07-26-2009, 07:58 PM
lawdevil
7th Gear

I am getting ready to order the Dension 500 for my 08 987S. For the most part, it looks like it should be an easy install. I have the Audiovox XM Commander already (dealer installed). It plays through a wired FM modulator supplied with the unit. The trouble with the FM modulator is that there is insufficient output and I have to turn the CDR 24 to a very high level to get acceptable volume. I plan to run RCA jacks to the Dension Aux input to correct this deficiency. Eric at Bumper Plugs told me this would work.

If anyone has some installation experience, I would like a little help on one issue. What is the best way to get the wires (the IPOD cable and the XM feed) from the front trunk to the passenger cabin?

Thanks,

mike
Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdevil
I am getting ready to order the Dension 500 for my 08 987S. For the most part, it looks like it should be an easy install. I have the Audiovox XM Commander already (dealer installed). It plays through a wired FM modulator supplied with the unit. The trouble with the FM modulator is that there is insufficient output and I have to turn the CDR 24 to a very high level to get acceptable volume. I plan to run RCA jacks to the Dension Aux input to correct this deficiency. Eric at Bumper Plugs told me this would work.

If anyone has some installation experience, I would like a little help on one issue. What is the best way to get the wires (the IPOD cable and the XM feed) from the front trunk to the passenger cabin?

Thanks,

mike
Mike.
In my old 05 997 my installer ran cables from my Gateway 500 thru the bulkhead/firewall into the main cabin. Said that there were multiple routes to run them thru various groumets and lines that run from the area and also using the cd changer area as well if you have one. That seemed to work best. I'd figure that both the boxster and 997 have similar front ends/storage so it should be pretty easy. I think finding good power source and hooking up the MOST links was the harder part! Good luck.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:22 AM
berty987
7th Gear

The Cd changer and navigation module has a permanent power supply. I tapped off this from my dension. Since the dension allows you to control the i pod from the head unit , I cannot see the need to go to the trouble of routing cables through to the cabin. There is planty of space to put an i pod or USB drive in the front compartment where the navigaton/ CD unit sits. The dension now has bluetooth capability, if you have a PCM it emulates having the telephone option installed. The 987 and 997 are identical in terms of front end and wiring for the desnion. Take a look on planetporsche.net for details and guides on installing the gateway 500.

Quick Reply: Ipod/Bluetooth/Sat Radio Options for 987?