Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:51 AM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new

Well, I've done it. I just bought a 2009 Boxster S. I have wanted a Porsche since I was a kid and I wake up every day wondering if that beautiful machine in my garage is really mine. I have heard good things about this forum and am looking forward to getting advice from the more experienced owners here.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DLennox
Well, I've done it. I just bought a 2009 Boxster S. I have wanted a Porsche since I was a kid and I wake up every day wondering if that beautiful machine in my garage is really mine. I have heard good things about this forum and am looking forward to getting advice from the more experienced owners here.
Well let me be the first to welcome you ... and remind you to post some pics. Everyone wants to see your new baby.

Congrats! Enjoy!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:02 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

wow..great..lets have more details...options....pixs....PDK? 6-Speed?

good luck...its a great car
Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
DLennox
Banned

Thanks for the welcome. For some reason I can't post pics yet, but I will. I opted for the 6spd...I want to shift! I also have the Bose, zenon headlights, climate control, PASM, heated seats and a few other small options. Oh yeah, its Guards red with black interior and top, just like the poster car. I've had it a month now, put about 1000 miles on it and love it!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:19 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the welcome. For some reason I can't post pics yet, but I will. I opted for the 6spd...I want to shift! I also have the Bose, zenon headlights, climate control, PASM, heated seats and a few other small options. Oh yeah, its Guards red with black interior and top, just like the poster car. I've had it a month now, put about 1000 miles on it and love it!
excellent choices...wife's 911 is guards red...an eye grapper for sure...

(my boxster is all grey)

enjoy...
Old 07-03-2009, 08:27 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the new Boxster! Now make sure you do a proper engine break-in procedure. It's in the Owner's Manual.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:49 AM
DLennox
Banned

I am behaving, but both the sales rep and a Porsche employee told me that they are ready to go, broken in, go ahead and drive it....thanks for the advice, though.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:54 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Remember, the break in period is for you as much as it is anything in the car. A chance to get used to how it behaves before you start to really push things. Even with PSM and all the electronic safety nets, these cars still assume you know what you're doing.

Any plans to autocross or take your new baby to the track? My '05 S got its first trip around Road Atlanta at 2200 miles on the clock, so break yours in and go have some fun!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:14 AM
DLennox
Banned

This will never see a track. I live in the north, so my driving season is pretty short. My intentions are to limit the car to nice weather driving and store it in the winter. I will probably put 4-5k miles on per year and hang on to it for maybe 3yrs and see whats out there. I am a pretty secure driver..driven many Mustangs and Corvettes over the years. This car is very different than those, it actually makes you feel more confident---something to be very carefull of for sure.
Dave
Old 07-04-2009, 09:26 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

I am behaving, but both the sales rep and a Porsche employee told me that they are ready to go, broken in, go ahead and drive it....thanks for the advice, though.
Well, they are idiots for telling you that. The proper break-in procedure is right in the first few pages of the Owner's Manual.

I followed mine religiously, and as a result, I THINK, I have never have to add any oil between changes, nor do I get any puffs of smoke on first-start-ups in the morning.

I also doing your first oil change early, at about the 1,000 mile mark, or about 1/2 way through the break-in period. Very worth the approx. $200 IMHO.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Well, they are idiots for telling you that. The proper break-in procedure is right in the first few pages of the Owner's Manual.

I followed mine religiously, and as a result, I THINK, I have never have to add any oil between changes, nor do I get any puffs of smoke on first-start-ups in the morning.

I also doing your first oil change early, at about the 1,000 mile mark, or about 1/2 way through the break-in period. Very worth the approx. $200 IMHO.
+1
Old 07-04-2009, 02:07 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Maybe just a rationalization for all the times they took your not quite warmed-up car to redline. (-%

tino
Old 07-05-2009, 12:01 AM
DLennox
Banned

Maybe so, but the engines are bench-tested and the cars are run up to 80% of top speed before delivery, so I would say that they are kinda broke in before they get to us. BTW, mine had 10 mi on at delivery, so who knows how it was run before I got it. A 4yr 50k warranty is a good thing.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

BTW, mine had 10 mi on at delivery, so who knows how it was run before I got it.

Well, yes, the dealership does have to drive it to the gas station to fill up the tank prior to final delivery to the customer.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Congrats! Reading other posts below let me add ...

adhere to break-in guidelines. Some will advise you to drive car like you stole it but this only really applies if you did steal car.

I'd not treat a new car this way and would never advise anyone else to do so eitiher.

Also, my advice is to perform an early oil/filter service on car. I changed my 08 Cayman's oil/filter at 750 miles and was amazed though not surprised at the amount of fine metal particles in oil dumped out of filter housing. (I have pics and have posted them in Cayman forum in message around early April this year.) Filter of course caught these and prevented them from being circulated through engine but if filter plugs up bypass valve open and this will redirect unfiltered oil throughout your new engine.

Changed oil again at 1350 miles -- couldn't wait until 1500 miles -- and just a very faint hint of fine metal particles in oil.

Then at end of break-in period -- around 2000 miles -- changed oil/filter again, for 3rd time. Unfortunately day or so later car struck by another car and new Cayman totaled.

(Middle of June replaced totaled Cayman with used (03) Turbo. One of the first things I had done to Turbo was to have oil/filter service performed -- last one according to CPO records done last October.)

But I did nearly same thing with my 02 Boxtser I bought new in Jan 02 and car and original engine (and clutch!) now have nearly 222K miles. Yes, 222,000 miles and engine runs as good as it ever has. Uses now maybe 1/2 quart of oil between its 5000 mile oil/filter services.

Oh, if you can convince service to do it, have alignment checked. Offer to if alignment checked and no adjustment necessary to pay for alignment check. However, if alignment found to be out and adjustment needed this should fall under new car warranty. You only have a few months and miles before alignment/tire issues are not covered by warranty.

Had my Cayman checked and sure enough new car's alignment out. A proper alignment early will result in maximum tire life and less wear/tear on drivetrain/steering too. Also, gas mileage could be better than it would be otherwise.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Brand new