Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buddy's Cayman S just died on track

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:10 PM
tchubacha
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy's Cayman S just died on track

I was at the TWS DE event here in Texas and a buddy's Cayman S just quit on him on the track this past weekend. Felt bad for him as it was only the second run of the DE event on Saturday. Black flagged the entire run and brought everyone in to tow him back in. Just wondering if there was any similar DME relay type issues on the Cayman as on the 993. Do they even have relays in the Cayman? I wrench my 993 as much as I can but I do not know anything about the newer Porsche's electronics. His car was still cranking but it would not start and he did have gas. His car was a brand new 07 that he bought in July of 08 so it is less than a year old. Roadside assistance had to transport his car all the way back to the Houston dealer from the track. Nice to find out that they would do this without a fuss about it being at the track when it died. Just curious and wanted to see if anyone here had an insight into this problem. Tried to search this forum but did not find anything that related. TIA!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:40 PM
teoh2005
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an engine failure on my Cayman S due to failed conn rod. Mine obviously did not crank after being towed in. Caymans injest a lot of oil. Could be an oily Mass Airflow Sensor. That would definitely cut power. After my new engine was installed, there was still a lot of oil in the intake and the sensor had a lot of oil on it. Car would not rev and actually shut down on me on the way home from the dealer. Restarted it, drove back had the sensor cleaned and car runs great now. Hope this helps.

-Kevin
Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 PM
yeehaw
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a cayman die at willow springs, broken timing chain possibly...he had less than 10k mi on it what a shame.

Quick Reply: Buddy's Cayman S just died on track