Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on an 06 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Might as well add that I think PDK will exacrebate intake valve deposits...

Originally Posted by Vino
Macster,

The IMS issue was more a concern but I do thank you for the link and since I do see there is a fix or at least something to keep things in check to 100K it has opened my path to finding the right Cayman S.
Good luck with your car situation, I feel your symapathy. We had a collectors Mercedes with only 32k on the clock and got nailed. The car was worth maybe $35k and the insurance agent offered $5k........long story they ended fixing it and couldn't sell it for crap.

I talked to "elh0102" in this thread and he has a beautiful 08 for sale, little too far from me but cool car and cool owner. It's an 08 CS for $45+ with only like 12k on the clock. It's brand new!
My Local dealer said they will be getting an 07 in with super low miles and hopefully CPO. If case comes I just may buy a new one "08". I am nervous with DFI motors, a lot of talk but if it's like what I see on the RS4 V8's, I am going for the 06-08.

I am sure more questions will come up, I just have to keep my options open.

Thanks again!

cause of how aggressive Porsche is with PDK shift maps to get tranny in as high a gear as possible. As most will leave tranny in auto mode it will be free to upshift and without any perceptible lurch or break in power flow to a higher gear as quickly as possible. Porsche needs this behavior to keep it on the good side of the greenies to meet tougher CO2 and fuel economy standards here and abroad.

I've read reviews of cars equipped with PDK tranny getting into 7th gear and engine barely at fast idle speed.

This will see quite a bit of back flow of combustion chamber gases intentional to essentially pollute incoming air to reduce temp of combustion to keep formation of Nitrogen Oxide down. This formed when combustion temp. gets too high.

The side effect will be more chances for combustion chamber gases to vapor deposit stuff on back of cold intake valves.

A work-around is to keep transmission in manual mode and let engine rpms climb higher before shifting to next higher gear.

However reviews indicate manual shifting so counter-intuitive using either paddles or shift lever that most reviewers prefer to for "everyday" driving let transmission remain in auto mode and of course upshift as quick as it can to next higher car.

I would not be surprised to see a year or two down the road a mod made to engine to provide for injection ports located in intake manifold just ahead of the intake ports and upstream of the intake valves so under some operating conditions engine works as port injected engine vs. 100% direct injection. The port located injector of course will spray fuel onto back of intake valves and help to keep them cleaner.

One rumor I heard was Porsche developing an intake valve cleaner contraption that will be used to feed special cleaner fluid/vapor into intake system while engine running --- probably under computer control -- to help remove valve deposits and other deposits from combustion chamber.

This cleansing will be done and then followed by oil/filter service.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Just declined to buy an '07 Cayman S with less than 9000 miles....

Originally Posted by Vino
Hey Fellas,

I went for a test drive in an 06 Cayman S today and really liked it.

So, a few questions since I am somewhat new. History of the car, it was like $70k new, it has 10k on the clock and is a one owner car.
No CPO or anything.
The guy is asking $45k for the car, looking around, I have seen a few fully loaded ones going for $43k with similar mileage but CPO and 1 owner. The car would be 4 years old, what have some of you paid or feel is market reasonable?
It does not have the Carrera sport wheels but the 19" block wheels, no other special "custom" options as far as I can see except for PASM and NAV.

What is a good price for the car?

I can't find any issues with RMS or IMS on the Cayman, is this issue fixed on these cars?

Any info would be great, thanks!
for $39,999. "book" indicates car should go for less than this amount.

I'd be interested in car more if it had at least one oil/filter service since being put into service Sept. '07. That's too long on that factory fill oil.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on the price.

I am going to take a step back and even expand my search into other Porsches. I am in no rush and there are just too many Cayman's on the market with prices all over the place. Even the Carrera S can be had in mid to low $50's. The Colorado market seems to stink in terms of finding the "right" car and price. Most of the dealers are at least 15% too high on price and with no CPO it's a no brainer. I did bring my check book and offered good money on the spot if the PPI was good being the car is CPO'd and everything passed on the 06. They passed and it wasn't a low ball offer, I liked the car but not how the car was being sold.
If I read correctly, to CPO the car costs the dealer around $1300 , correct me if I am wrong.

I may just look for a new 09 CS and work with a broker to find a better deal even if it comes from out of state, I'll be happy to drive it back home..
I have very little time to deal, I work almost 7 days a week and have too much on my plate to stress dealing on a car for days or even weeks.

Macster, good luck with your search as well and I'll be following your thread!
Old 07-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I just saw a 2008 Guards Red Cayman S with 6,800 miles and all kinds of options on it (PASM, Sport Exhuast, sport design wheels, adaptive sport seats, high end Bose, Bluetooth, Ipod Conn. and much more go for $46,000!

Quick Reply: Opinions on an 06 Cayman S