Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lack of oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In that case, you may never find a car...

I would guess that maybe 1% of all Porsche owners change oil once or twice a year. I do it once a year and that's far more often than needed and I'm a track junkie in the Black run group. These cars are extremely well engineered, as is the Mobil 1 synthetic oil put in the car. The Porsche manual clearly states that for the 2005 Boxster S, change the oil and filter every 20,000 miles. Sounds to me like this car is just fine. Many of us think we know better than the Porsche engineers that build the cars. We claim the oil must be changed every 5000 miles, every 6 months, etc. I do it once a year because I put about 10,000 miles a year on my Porsches and half of that is on the track. I've had my oil analyzed and everything is just fine.

Originally Posted by hikejohn
in my opinion...if oil and filter not done once or twice a year...regardless of time....run and hide...find another one....there are lots out there...if the owner doesn't understand value of fluid changes....just imagine what else might go south....
Old 04-22-2009, 12:00 PM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
In that case, you may never find a car...

I would guess that maybe 1% of all Porsche owners change oil once or twice a year. I do it once a year and that's far more often than needed and I'm a track junkie in the Black run group. These cars are extremely well engineered, as is the Mobil 1 synthetic oil put in the car. The Porsche manual clearly states that for the 2005 Boxster S, change the oil and filter every 20,000 miles. Sounds to me like this car is just fine. Many of us think we know better than the Porsche engineers that build the cars. We claim the oil must be changed every 5000 miles, every 6 months, etc. I do it once a year because I put about 10,000 miles a year on my Porsches and half of that is on the track. I've had my oil analyzed and everything is just fine.
agreed. i change mine every yr as i do less than 10k miles per yr.there is no need to change mobil 1 every 5k miles...
Old 04-26-2009, 03:08 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case Mobil 1 would be called Mobil ONE, representing the 1000 miles I put on the car per year, to date.I am going to bring my car in in about a month or so, before I hit the 4 year mark.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Well, you're wrong. There's lots of reasons to change the oil every 5000 miles...

Originally Posted by vladie22
agreed. i change mine every yr as i do less than 10k miles per yr.there is no need to change mobil 1 every 5k miles...
and especially for a car used infrequently and for short trips.

Water and unburned fuel build up and form corrosive compounds that while the engine sits unused can form small spots of corrosion on valve springs, rods, rod bolts. Anyone of the spots can be the starting point of failure of this item. Since the engine not running these parts not being flushed with oil.

As the engine sits the oil in the sump (and where it puddles in the engine) stratifies into layers and the water/fuel layers gather towards the bottom of the oil sump.

Upon engine start the first "oil" the engine gets is the dregs of this stuff that has gathered at the bottom down where the oil pickup lives. Every cold engine start. It is just a matter of how long the engine has sat unused that determines the percentage of water/gas/acids vs. just oil get picked up at engine start.

While engine sititng the corrosive compounds corrode the lower portions of the oil sump they are in contact with. This loosens the lower sump material which when the engine is running oil movement causes this loosened material to come completely free and this adds considerably to the particulate matter in the oil and the particulate matter the filter has to deal with.

The risk from this is the filter becomes clogged enough the oil pressure rises and unfiltered oil with a goodly load of this partculate matter is then routed around the filter and the engine's critical bearings receive unfiltered oil.

The oil sump baffling is also treated to a nice acidic bath and this can cause the baffling to fall apart and allow oil to move away from the oil pick up during hard cornering. The oil pump may gulp a bit of air with its oil. Not good.

The baffling is also designed to keep the more heavily air ladened oil away from the pump pickup. The baffling being eaten away from corrosiion allows this air laden oil a more direct route to the oil pick up.

Main and rod bearings do not like any air in their oil.

There's every reason to change the oil more frequently in these engines and in some cases even 5000 mile oil changes not frequent enough.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: lack of oil changes