Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2-- OMG No!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy 987.2-- OMG No!

I love boxsters (see my sig) and am (was...read on) looking forward to owning the new DFI version once it came out.

Imagine my horror when I read in Brit high-end auto mag EVO:
...The only downside to the new Boxster is the steering. It's still precise and fantastic compared with most cars, but the engineers have seen fit to lighten it. ....some of that writhing textural feedback you used to get through the rim of a Porsche steering wheel has been replaced by silky smoothness. And that's a shame.
-- EVO no. 128, March '09, p. 123
(bold added)

I was a Bimmerhead when BMW had the tragic loss of good judgment and "lightened up" the steering rack on the 2001 E46. BMW paid quietly to replace the racks on those cars (my 330CiC was one that got the rack "retrofitted"). What a stupid mistake. I fear... oh God I fear... that the marketing droids have invaded Stuttgart and decided, "Zee Boxster, she is driven by people who want zie lighten steering, ya?"

Oh nooooo...

Has anyone else heard details about this atrocity?

tmc
Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Old Chuck
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I read that but

did not pay much attention to it. Excellence mag just did a review on the new Cayman and did not mention the steering. If Excellence did not mention it and called it the best ever then I would not throw the Boxster out just yet. Better yet, dirve one and see....
Old 02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
did not pay much attention to it. Excellence mag just did a review on the new Cayman and did not mention the steering. If Excellence did not mention it and called it the best ever then I would not throw the Boxster out just yet. Better yet, dirve one and see....
And maybe it's the intended performance differentiator between the Cayman and the Boxster 987.2?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

986 steering was better than early 987.

987.2 first drives have both been in crappy weather, so I am reserving judgment. That said, steering feel has less to do with weight than other factors (see S2000 and Audi TT for examples).

New rack, at least on first blush, seems to be an improvement over the early 987 setup to me. We'll see...

pete (stout)
Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmc
I fear... oh God I fear... that the marketing droids have invaded Stuttgart and decided, "Zee Boxster, she is driven by people who want zie lighten steering, ya?"
It's not a Boxster speciality. The revised steering geometry is used in all facelift models (Boxster, Cayman, Carrera). More steering precision (objective) at the cost of feedback (subjective) ?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I actually could care less that I feel the 'ant' I just drove over. I like it, and noticed it- even moving it around the lot. But I like it...

cars are def. more refined- especially for the clients Porsche is trying attract for these cars.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:16 AM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I actually could care less that I feel the 'ant' I just drove over. I like it, and noticed it- even moving it around the lot. But I like it...

cars are def. more refined- especially for the clients Porsche is trying attract for these cars.
Amen brother. I liked the whole set up of the new boxster. Just one drive down the street confirmed they didn't mess too much with success...

Quick Reply: 987.2-- OMG No!