Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can PASM springs be used on standard shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:07 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Can PASM springs be used on standard shocks?

Here's the thing. The Boxster S suspension is the softest and highest CG of any Porsche I've owned. I've been looking at alternatives and for one reason or another, they all fall short of what I want. PSS is stiffer than I want, Eibach is an option with stock shocks, but -1" lowering is more than I want.

So I looked through my Technik book and saw that the stock springs are 154 lb front and 188 lb rear, where the PASM springs are 188 front and 228 rear and -10mm. That sounds perfect. The only thing is I can't tell if they are of the same design, where I can just pick up a set of PASM springs and do the swap.

Would love to find a photo of a Boxster PASM shock / spring and a stock one for comparison purposes.

Anyone know?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:54 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Starting to find some of my own answers I guess... A couple of guys racing Cayman (Caymen?) have done this and had great results. Springs are about 20% stiffer and -10mm is nice (about 4/10 of an inch), which allows you to get a little more negative camber up front. Post alignment, others have found this to create a very nice handling variant. Less dive on braking, less rise on acceleration, tighter handling, etc. No negative side effects other than a slightly "sportier" ride.

There is a question about spring length on the Cayman where the PASM spring might be shared from another car in that it's shorter at the front than expected, requiring a 3 or 3mm shim (which Porsche makes - probably used on all PASM Cayman). Going to try to find out if the Boxster PASM springs are similar or if they are a direct swap. Found that a set of new PASM Boxster 987 springs at Suncoast are only $249 for all 4 - not bad at all.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:26 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting little project you are on.. do share the results!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:19 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Will do - the physics is sound - 20% stiffer and 2/5" lower. Moderate adjustment, but just what I'm looking for (vs. -1" or more and 30+% stiffer that the aftermarket springs are).

Quick Reply: Can PASM springs be used on standard shocks?