Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Boxster S or Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:28 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There you have it Michael. If anyone knows these cars it's Pete Stout from Excellence! Great info on the Gen 1 PASM and lowering springs.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:56 PM
mgsimmer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on my 4 years of 2005 Boxster S ownership, and my regret in selling it, I am only considering PASM equipped Boxsters to replace that car. The PASM gave the car with the 19" wheels superior handling and an incredibly supple ride over surfaces that should have rattled me and the car to pieces. I also believe that PASM will keep body rattles and groans at bay for much longer than a non PASM equipped car because it is so good at actively sensing and subsequently absorbing high acceleration suspension hits thus saving the body from having to absorb and disperse them.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:38 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

From the prices I'm seeing, an equivalent year Boxster is cheaper to buy than a Cayman. Perhaps because the Cayman cost more when new? Perhaps because Caymans are a bit more scarce? Caymans had something like 10HP up on the equivalent year Boxster too I believe.
I already had a Porsche cabriolet when I was trying to decide between the Boxster and Cayman, so I went for the Cayman. Like others have said, choose what you think you can get the most enjoyment from, coupe vs cabriolet.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:51 AM
987s987
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a Boxster S because I love having the top down option. Haven't regretted at all. Like everyone else said, it all comes down to whether being able to drop the top is important to you.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Supagoat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I'll echo what other people have said. I have a Miata already so my plan was to buy a Cayman S, but the more I thought about how much of my enjoyment of the Miata is amplified by having the top down, the more I shifted towards the Boxster.

The Cayman looks better than the regular Boxster for sure, and it's a little more practical since you get a little more storage space.

I ended up opting for a Spyder, which looks better than the Cayman, but it has quite a stiff suspension (Which I very much like) however if PASM is a consideration, I wouldn't consider the Spyder.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Holy old thread. I'll put in my 2 cents anyway. And I'll quote Jeremy Clarkson on Ferrari 458 italia vs spyder. He said the spyder had "more theatre." And I am with him. Being able to open the roof brings in a world of sensations and senses that I value more than just plain sense of speed. Motorcycle riders would agree.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:19 PM
bluesun
4th Gear

It really depends on where you live and how much you like the top down. I can only handle convertibles for about an hour, but I'm still planning on getting a boxster as there are some days and some weather that is just better in a top less car.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One easy way to decide is are you an "air conditioning" guy or a "sacrifice perfect humidity for wind and sound" guy, answer this grasshopper and you will know which one to buy.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:04 AM
JohnnyChrome
2nd Gear

I just purchased a 2006 Boxster S and noticed that some of the tan interior is scratched and is black underneath. Is there a product out there that can repair this?
Also on the A/c controls, the switches are losing the coating. I thought it was gum at first and tried to clean it.....mistake! It was the coating on the switch. Can those be replaced without replacing the whole unit?
I love this car!!!!!

Quick Reply: Porsche Boxster S or Cayman S