Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 987 IMS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:48 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2006 987 IMS Issues

Sorry, couldn't find anything by doing a search. Was the IMS issue improved/corrected with the 2006 "S" model or did that not occur until the '07 models came out. Got differing comments from some supposedly in the "know".
Old 12-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't think it was resolved until the latest 2009 DFI engine. everything up to that latest engine - available in the 911 now and the Boxster next year.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

You don't hear much about RMS on 987s, although they do occur. Bigger issues are intermediate shaft failures, again very rare and almost always covered by Porsche
Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Old Chuck
Track Day

The IMS/RMS issue is alive and well in all non direct injected porsche engines. Many on other boards have had recurring problems. There was an improvement in I think 05 for the 987 and maybe tweeks since. The IMS issue is still there more so in the 987 because of the lack of rear engine support. Excellence also did an article on this during the past year. Will be interesting to see if the new engines without the IMS will cure the RMS in the 987 but without the IMS it should be more reliable. During warranty is not a problem as porsche knows of the design flaw (would never admit it) and will cover it but after warranty issues have buried some owners.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 PM
BobZ
Advanced

Latter 987s have beefed-up components...Porsche has known about the problem for awhile and the '07s & '08s while not 100% immune from problems (what vehicle is?) are the best yet. And time will only tell what problems the DFI cars will have since again, all cars have some problems.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Old Chuck
Track Day

Will be interesting to chart the problems on the 07 & 08's when they get some miles on them. The problem is made worst by the low miles most P-cars have. When problems arise many are out of warranty. One would think that Porsche, who knows the design flaw, would cover IMS failures however, that is usually not the case. In any event, we can be fairly sure that removing the IMS on the DI engines will cure that problem.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Bartmack
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, but what does IMS and RMS refer to?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Old Chuck
Track Day

Intermediate main shaft and Rear main shaft. Both have been a concern for this run of present Porsche engines. Excellence magazine did an article on the failures and why this year. There are folks who claim to fix the problems such as Jake Ruby and he now has a recent post on this and other failures on this board under 986. Even on the 987, Porsche has reduced the amount of metal in certain parts thus adding to the stressors. The IMS is a design flaw and Porsche is aware of it. Some on other boards have had multiple failures on the same car with new engines. These engines do have their issues....
Old 01-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Old Chuck
Track Day

Sorry Jack Raby's post is under Boxster/S catagory.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:35 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
Sorry Jack Raby's post is under Boxster/S catagory.

That post/thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...il-within.html

tino
Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Intermediate main shaft and Rear main shaft. Both have been a concern for this run of present Porsche engines. Excellence magazine did an article on the failures and why this year. There are folks who claim to fix the problems such as Jake Ruby and he now has a recent post on this and other failures on this board under 986. Even on the 987, Porsche has reduced the amount of metal in certain parts thus adding to the stressors. The IMS is a design flaw and Porsche is aware of it. Some on other boards have had multiple failures on the same car with new engines. These engines do have their issues....
Correction. RMS is Rear Main Seal (not shaft).
Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Old Chuck
Track Day

No Htwo O,
Your are correct. Had a brain freeze and the words got turned around. I guess I am showing my age.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Old Chuck
Track Day

Soltino,
If you are looking for the Jake Raby's post it is extensive so will not copy it with all its pics but it is under Boxster/S and titled: Is it really IMS failure... Carnage with pics and details.. Actually, this is another Mass engine failure that was new to me. It also is fairly new to Mr. Raby who, rebuilds many Porsche engines with beefer parts so failures are elimated or kept to a minimum.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soltino,
If you are looking for the Jake Raby's post it is extensive so will not copy it with all its pics but it is under Boxster/S and titled: Is it really IMS failure... Carnage with pics and details.. Actually, this is another Mass engine failure that was new to me. It also is fairly new to Mr. Raby who, rebuilds many Porsche engines with beefer parts so failures are elimated or kept to a minimum.

Don't really understan your post to me.

I'm guessing that the link i posted did not show or did not work for you.

tino
Old 01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Old Chuck
Track Day

Soltino,
The link did not show the first time I pulled it up but it is there now. Sorry, I had thought you were looking for the link but obviously you had it. My error.
Chuck

Quick Reply: 2006 987 IMS Issues