Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back aches driving my new Boxster S -- I may have to dump the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishdriver

You get a couple more inches with the hardtop fitted... I have put mine on now. This could give you more options in terms of raising the seat.

If you want to change seats you have to spend time on ebay, I found my 987 hardtop there and got it for less than half price. I even picked it up in the Porsche zentrum where it was stored so I knew it was OK. It's black but it looks cool enough on my yellow car !!!
I'd be interested in some photos of your car with the hardtop. Hard to tell from the photos that go with your posts. How much, BTW?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:26 AM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

QED http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...a-000423bb4e79

I use one, works great.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:59 AM
equ
Racer

Go with the cushions, pilates, etc. It will get better, the problem is in your (and my) back, not the car. If it's just some lumbar that needs to be added, an upholsterer can do that under the leather as well, though I suspect the wedge cushion is likely just the trick. Might get one myself!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by equ
Go with the cushions, pilates, etc. It will get better, the problem is in your (and my) back, not the car. If it's just some lumbar that needs to be added, an upholsterer can do that under the leather as well, though I suspect the wedge cushion is likely just the trick. Might get one myself!
Couldn't agree more. Since the sciatica developed, I've been stretching my hamstrings, lower back, quads and hip flexors (very important) two to three times a day. I actually feel better in some ways than before, so maybe it's a blessing. I'll get the cushion. Who knows? Maybe that'll do it. I sure hope! I love my 987S -- a lot more than the Audi A6 or Land Rover LR3 the dealer proposes I trade for(at a higher monthly payment) in order to avoid getting hosed on the Boxster S.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by gabbagabbahey
Just visited the website. Did you buy the regular wedge or memory foam wedge? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:04 PM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

I bought a cheapie one at a Bed and Bath chain here, but plan to spring for the memory foam in the link. I have a memory foam square seat cusion (Temporpedic) that I use on an office chair and its
Old 12-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, make sure you do not have you wallet in your back pocket while driving. That can put extra pressure on the sciatic nerve. Second, get yourself a good Chiropractic Physician and keep your car!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:00 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by wbgordon
Couldn't agree more. Since the sciatica developed, I've been stretching my hamstrings, lower back, quads and hip flexors (very important) two to three times a day. I actually feel better in some ways than before, so maybe it's a blessing. I'll get the cushion. Who knows? Maybe that'll do it. I sure hope! I love my 987S -- a lot more than the Audi A6 or Land Rover LR3 the dealer proposes I trade for(at a higher monthly payment) in order to avoid getting hosed on the Boxster S.

Good luck. I hope the cushion works for you. Did you ever try driving a Boxster. As I posted earlier in the thread, my back couldn't tolerate the drive in the S but the Boxster is just fine, even on extended trips. In my case I didn't experience a back ache, just back stiffness, and I decided not to take a chance, given the $10K premium for the S.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:54 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by fast1
Good luck. I hope the cushion works for you. Did you ever try driving a Boxster. As I posted earlier in the thread, my back couldn't tolerate the drive in the S but the Boxster is just fine, even on extended trips. In my case I didn't experience a back ache, just back stiffness, and I decided not to take a chance, given the $10K premium for the S.
Fast 1, as far as I know the Boxster and Boxster S are the same car in the cabin, particularly to do with seats (unless you are talking about the RS Spyder, which has adaptive sport seats). How is it that your back takes less stress in the Boxster than the Boxster S?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:00 AM
fast1
Race Car

How is it that your back takes less stress in the Boxster than the Boxster S?

My guess is that it's the differance in suspension, the S is a little stiffer, and the 17" wheels vs the 19" wheels. In my case both seats are comfortable.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:30 PM
equ
Racer

You could also run the pressures a touch lower to soften the ride... I'd recommend 30f/35r cold. As long as you don't let them drop further, a bit of tire wear may be worth the slight increase in compliance.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by equ
You could also run the pressures a touch lower to soften the ride... I'd recommend 30f/35r cold. As long as you don't let them drop further, a bit of tire wear may be worth the slight increase in compliance.
I believe that is an excellent suggestion since it may determine if the problem is caused by the seat or suspension. Moreover, it could be a very inexpensive solution to the back problem, and a hell of a lot less expensive than selling the car.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:05 PM
wbgordon
Racer

I believe this discussion may have found a happy ending. Last week, at the suggestion of "gabbagabbahey", I contacted Auto Sport and purchased two seat cushions, including the one recommended by gabbahabbhey. The vendor recommended I use BOTH cushions, one on top of another, and the result has been dramatic. Over the past three days I have driven my 987S nearly 200 miles with no hint of sciatic discomfort. My fingers are crossed! Leveling the hips in relation to the knees appears to have made the difference.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this very productive discussion. May this also help someone else with lower back issues who may be considering a first-time purchase of a Porsche Boxster.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Good luck! It's a great car. I would definitely try these and memory foam (Tempurpedic makes a small back pad)

I never had issues with my sport seats and the angle you descrive, even though I have SI pain from a water skiing accident.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Good luck! It's a great car. I would definitely try these and memory foam (Tempurpedic makes a small back pad)

I never had issues with my sport seats and the angle you descrive, even though I have SI pain from a water skiing accident.
I've been around guys 6-feet-4 who have no comfort issues driving the Boxster. Everyone's tolerances are a little different. I've driven the RS 60 Spyder with the adaptive sports seats, and they're a vast improvement over the base seat.

Quick Reply: Back aches driving my new Boxster S -- I may have to dump the car