Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL + Limp Mode = why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down CEL + Limp Mode = why?

On a long drive from NJ back to Boston, my 2006 Boxster S, without warning, went into "limp mode". The car only has 13k miles on it.

The Check Engine Light (CEL) went on and the car refused to accelerate despite me stepping on the gas. I ended up running along the breakdown lane and took the first exit. The car ran slllowwwwllllyyy...

I parked the car and checked the gas cap. It looked fine to me, but I turned it to make "one click". After waiting a while pondering what to do with my pregnant wife, I tried to start the car and it fired up. It ran normally, but the CEL is still on. We were able to drive back to Boston with no other issues. The CEL stayed on.

I plugged in a "Carchip" and turned the CEL off via the OBD2 hoping that I could take some data points in the event that the CEL would come back on. But it didn't. The car runs as STRONG as always. There are no oil drops of any kind in my garage and the oil level is perfect (not burning or leaking oil).

So the question is, could it be "bad gas" in NJ? Or could it be just that maybe the gas cap needed "one more click" to be tightened?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Should taken trip with Carchip installed before clearing...

Originally Posted by M3Armand
On a long drive from NJ back to Boston, my 2006 Boxster S, without warning, went into "limp mode". The car only has 13k miles on it.

The Check Engine Light (CEL) went on and the car refused to accelerate despite me stepping on the gas. I ended up running along the breakdown lane and took the first exit. The car ran slllowwwwllllyyy...

I parked the car and checked the gas cap. It looked fine to me, but I turned it to make "one click". After waiting a while pondering what to do with my pregnant wife, I tried to start the car and it fired up. It ran normally, but the CEL is still on. We were able to drive back to Boston with no other issues. The CEL stayed on.

I plugged in a "Carchip" and turned the CEL off via the OBD2 hoping that I could take some data points in the event that the CEL would come back on. But it didn't. The car runs as STRONG as always. There are no oil drops of any kind in my garage and the oil level is perfect (not burning or leaking oil).

So the question is, could it be "bad gas" in NJ? Or could it be just that maybe the gas cap needed "one more click" to be tightened?
CEL and extinquishing MIL. It would have logged the DTCs (diagnostics trouble codes) for you along with freeze frame data.

Now we'll never know. Unlikely a loose cap would trigger limp home mode. More likely, some transient "glitch" with e-Gas. Maybe if you had just stayed in car and worked pedal with engine off or just sat a bit the symptom would have corrected itself.

Next time have the Carchip *Installed* when the CEL goes on. Download the trip data and be sure you have the trip with the DTCs present before you enable the erase DTC feature.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'06 and 13K miles? It's under warranty, so let the dealer sort it out.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Based on your descriuption, it sounds like bad gas to me. As you know it doesn't take much to trip a CEL warning, and bad gas would certainly do it.

Quick Reply: CEL + Limp Mode = why?