Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is my interior pieces paint pealing off? it's very annoying

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008 | 01:20 PM
pekopeeus
Intermediate

Thumbs down why is my interior pieces paint pealing off? it's very annoying

This is not my first time and This is not my second time. My A/C ( temp ) ( low high ) buttons are like flaking apart. I don't think I can order the buttons either. I think I have to order the whole a/c assembly. This is a minor issue but it all adds up to really disappoint me. The quality of the porsche shouldn't be like this in my opinion. Also I am in Taiwan now and my car is not an authorized local porsche so I get no warranty. So I guess my solution is the paint the buttons. ( this really sucks )

A quick snap shot of my interior with the same type of paint that porsche uses on most of the interior parts.
Old 09-17-2008 | 02:22 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am having the same problem on my A/C switch and I will take it to Porsche to see what they say. Fortunately, my Cayman is under warranty.
I will let you know if I learn anything that will help you.
Jim
Old 09-17-2008 | 02:29 PM
pekopeeus
Intermediate

thanks Jim, please let me know! as this is not the only parts that I have encountered.
Old 09-17-2008 | 03:21 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

I know that on some 986 Boxsters there was an issue on the armrest cover on the doors. It turns out that it was a reaction of suntan lotion and the plastic paint that was causing the problem. I'm not making this up...
Old 09-17-2008 | 10:38 PM
mambodoc
Pro

I have a Cayenne with the same issue on a # of interior surfaces especially the power window switches...seems to be the "soft touch" rubberized type paint that Porsche uses. Should be a warranty issue no matter what. Anyone else out there? Any luck with a fix?
Old 09-21-2008 | 11:53 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

I spoke to the local Porsche dealer about the trim and without hesitation the service writer and one of the mechanics said that it was a covered warrantee item.
Jim
Old 11-11-2008 | 06:38 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

This is/was an issue with Audi cars as well. While there was never any good way of repairing the damage, dealers in most cases did fix the cars. Porsche should be no different.
Old 11-11-2008 | 08:36 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

The soft touch has been an issue on VW & Audi & Porsche. Many of the surfaces in my boxster are nicked up or worn including the door armrests and handles, ash tray, etc. My old A6 had a ton of this sort of wear on the armrests. And I don't know that it will be better in my current Rabbit. Go over to the Vortex... tons of VW's have the issue and most dealers don't do a thing about it.

These materials have been in use and failing for 10 years now. Good stuff VAG.
Old 11-12-2008 | 03:08 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schwank
+1 and LMAO, too!
Old 11-18-2008 | 01:30 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by schwank
The soft touch has been an issue on VW & Audi & Porsche. Many of the surfaces in my boxster are nicked up or worn including the door armrests and handles, ash tray, etc. My old A6 had a ton of this sort of wear on the armrests. And I don't know that it will be better in my current Rabbit. Go over to the Vortex... tons of VW's have the issue and most dealers don't do a thing about it.

Absolutely correct. We have a few VWs in the family, and they are all treated with kid gloves -- but the interiors all look like complete sh*t. It is incredible to me that Volkswagen/Audi haven't fixed the problem. Even more incredible is that Porsche is stupid enough to use that crap on their cars. I truly believe that 10 years from now, used 996/986/997/987s will be a complete joke on the used market. The cars are throw-aways, from the interior bits to the engine to the transmission. Plasti-cars.

Resale values will reflect the cars' true quality, and we're already seeing that with the 996s. Truly the first generation of "disposable" Porsches.

Quick Reply: why is my interior pieces paint pealing off? it's very annoying