Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will DFI be enough to boost Cayman/Boxster sales?
Yes.
20.59%
No.
38.24%
Yes, but only if they make it more attractive price point.
20.59%
Maybe, but price wise it's getting closer to a 997 911 CPO car.
20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Will DFI persuade you to actually commit to either a Boxster or Cayman this year?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I have been thinking about this thread all day.
After 16 Porsches in the last 35 years, most of those, including the last 10, being 911 series, I am not willing to pay $100k for a new Porsche (997).
That leaves the other choices:
Boxsters are very claustrophobic to me because I want to be able to take things in the cockpit area and set them behind me. Gives me the shivvers that my elbow strikes the engine firewall when I try to turn around.
Cayennes are not a choice because I just don't need a different kind of $100k new Porsche.
Caymans are now my new cup of tea, although I am still driving my current 996 (4th one). I LIKE that the Cayman doesn't have a sunroof. I LIKE that I can turn around and put something behind me without having to stop and open the trunk (small cooler and snacks for a trip comes to mind. My navigator does not have to straddled the cooler all day as in a Boxster).
I have been all gah-gah about the new PDK tranny, and the DFI engine, the LSD transaxels, and PASM Sport, coming out. As a set of items they add well over $10,000 to the bottom line without adding anything else. I also know, I have NEVER needed ANY of those things at a DE. A Cayman is a better track car than an RS AMERICA, straight out of the box. And costs almost exactly the same today as my '93 RS America, when I bought it new.
So, now I'm looking at ordering a Cayman, with about $8,000 worth of my favorite things.
I can't imagine bothering to wait for the new stuff, when none of that really makes any truly huge difference in day-to-day driving and occasional DE's, other than to the MSRP.
For the cost of any of those new items, you can enjoy the pleasure of ordering goodies from the aftermarket and putting them on.
Porsche will ALWAYS get better and faster. If you wait for The Next Best Thing each time, you will never pull the trigger and buy.
After 10 years, Tiptronic is as good as it could ever be, and, until the announcement of PDK, was touted as a State-of-the-Art transmission. Now, with PDK it is junk?
I think not. Order your new Porsche now, knowing full well that every 6 months Porsche will have something newer and better. If that bothers you, then buying new Porsches will always be a frustration for you.

Last edited by Thundertub; 10-02-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Old Chuck
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the new engine should reduce the issue of oil leakes(IMS &RMS) and engine failures. If the engine can reduce the total number of engine parts and cut down on engine failure then it will be worth the wait. Direct Injection is a bonus compared to a more reliable engine....
Old 10-07-2008, 01:03 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I want every new thing Porsche comes out with, but I have never actually bought a new Porsche. I have 4 right now, which is the most I've ever had at once, but I've been at 4 several different times. All 4 together cost me a little over a 100k at the times I purchased them, so I could have a swung a new turbo at some point, though my wife would have had a cow. Having multiple cars that all do something for me is just more satisfying, at least I keep telling myself that. If I ever get burned by a failed engine or something else that costs me more than the value of the car, I may change my direction, but for now I really want to add a 928 or a 914 to my collection. Actually I would rather get a 356, but those prices are just so out of sight, I cold buy the new Cayman with DFI, PDK, and a new suspension setup and exhaust for my aging 996.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

nice to see the discussion is still going.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:59 PM
grayman
Advanced

I was looking into buying an RS60 Spyder last spring, but decided to wait, after hearing the rumors about the PDK and a bump in HP. Hopefully I made a good decision.

Quick Reply: Will DFI persuade you to actually commit to either a Boxster or Cayman this year?