Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very cool triple stripe in flat black

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Very cool triple stripe in flat black

I wish I had taken a picture. (I still could.)

The local dealership (Auto Palace in Pittsburgh) has a Cayman with a really cool triple stripe that runs from stem to stern. The stripe looks like thin vinyl (or some other plastic cover) instead of paint. Is it?

It makes me think that the same material could be used on the rear fenders of black widebody cars. Could it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Matt
Old 05-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's probably a Porsche Design Cayman. Like this? And I do like it a lot.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Smiles
Pro

Exactly!

Is that paint or vinyl? (Or something else?)
Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Vinyl graphics
Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Smiles
Pro

How would you detail the stripes?

I'm thinking down the road, when you want to polish out scratches in the glossy black paint. Would you mask off the stripes before using an orbital? Could you take off the stripes, polish the car, and then replace new ones?

Last edited by Smiles; 05-26-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Attempt at clarity
Old 05-26-2008, 08:03 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at this site and email them. They are very active in the Lotus community. I'm sure they'll answer your questions. Don't know anything about them (no affiliation) other than the fact that they are an active poster on another board. There might be a similar sponsor on Rennlist???

http://www.chuforiagraffix.com/Home.html
Old 05-26-2008, 10:19 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles
How would you detail the stripes?

I'm thinking down the road, when you want to polish out scratches in the glossy black paint. Would you mask off the stripes before using an orbital? Could you take off the stripes, polish the car, and then replace new ones?
Really good question. I just saw a cpo'ed one at the dealer and there were white wax or polish stuck along the edges of the vinyl stripes and letters. Looks like a pain to maintain.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Smiles
Pro

Thanks, guys.

It looks gorgeous sitting new on the showroom floor. But you have to wonder how it will look after even a few years of well-cared for living.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 PM
vixapphire
Advanced

How much worse than all those vintage 30 year old Porsche's with "Carrera" scripted across the bottoms of the doors should one expect it to look? Same idea, isn't it?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by vixapphire
How much worse than all those vintage 30 year old Porsche's with "Carrera" scripted across the bottoms of the doors should one expect it to look? Same idea, isn't it?
But that wasn't black on black. It's not really the same idea, unless you've taken care of a black car for any length of time. (It doesn't need to be anywhere near 30 years.) There's a difference.

I'm glad that daddyscar understood my post. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:31 AM
vixapphire
Advanced

I understood your post and your comment, "But you have to wonder how it will look after even a few years of well-cared for living." Thus my question/comment above. Do the vinyl decals on 70's era Porsches look tattered and crappy after awhile? I've seen photos in various states of survivor-to-full-restoration condition, and based on that the decals seem to hold up well.

If anything, a black on black decal that's gone to ****e would probably not be as noticeable as a similarly tattered/poorly-aged black decal on, say, a gulf blue 1973 carrera. At least, one would think so.

What about if you get paint protection film put on the car; wouldn't that eliminate the need to do all the elaborate masking-tape prep before buffing the car? I've never had film on any of my cars and I've been seriously considering picking up a PDE1 (despite the premium pricing, I really like the way the interior is configured on these things - I wouldn't change a thing), so this thread is very interesting to me.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:09 PM
SweetDaddyD
1st Gear

Hi Guys,
Will referred me to this thread. As he mentioned I'm very active on the Lotus message board and am a sponsor over there. I am a Lotus owner and do a ton of work in that community as can be seen from my website, ChuforiaGraffix.com Actually I have enough content now to about double the size of the customer car gallery when I get around to updating my site. I also am the graphics sponsor on for a race series called the Lotus Challenge Series.

I'll be more than happy to answer your vinyl graphics questions in this thread, by PM, e-mail, or even phone at 770-530-8626. (You can ask for Keith if asking for Sweet Daddy Delicious leaves you a little uncomfortable, lol)

I now have matte black stripes on my chrome orange car myself. Detailing is simple. 2 minutes of prep with blue painters tape and you have no problems. On any of the other high gloss vinyls you just wax it with the car. Of course you should be using good stuff like Zaino and then build up and stuff isn't even an issue.

The premium quality vinyl made for automotive applications is really all I use. (believe me, it is way different than the cheap stuff used for signs and banners that most guys will give you) Many of the films will hold up to 10 years of continuous outdoor life. And I'm sure you keep those beautiful P-cars inside at least some of the time. If you would so choose to remove them, they won't come off till you want them to, but then will remove easily without leaving a bunch of gunk behind. Like your cars themselves- the best quality comes from Germany and that is where I material I use is manufactured It is very thin- usually only 2 mills, and virtually indistinguishable from paint. I can even get metallics, etc.

If you guys have paint protection film on your cars, it is no issue to lay the stripes right over it, just as I have on my Lotus, and most of the other ones you see on my site.

If I can help you in any other way, or you have other questions please do not hesitate to ask me.

I do vinyl graphics, stripes, paint protection film, banners, window graphics, magnetics, reusable race car numbers (as well as standard adhesive ones if they will be on all season), shirts, doming, etc.
I am working on a carbon fiber replacement for the Caymen and Caymen S rear badging right now to replace that awful grey plastic.

Keith
ChuforiaGraffix.com
Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 AM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SweetDaddyD
Hi Guys,
Will referred me to this thread. As he mentioned I'm very active on the Lotus message board and am a sponsor over there.
Before I get flamed...I did recommend that he join as a sponsor over here. Again, no affiliation, just seen nice work on his website.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Really good question. I just saw a cpo'ed one at the dealer and there were white wax or polish stuck along the edges of the vinyl stripes and letters. Looks like a pain to maintain.
Poor choice of wax.
FWIW, Pinnacle Souveran wax does not leave ANY white residue on black trim/vinyl. It would be my first choice in this situation.

Quick Reply: Very cool triple stripe in flat black