Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fighting depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:06 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered my 987S w/ Sport Steering Wheel ( I like the contoured feel rather than the triangular base one)
Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mbodo
It seems as if the fewer the options a car has, the more difficult it will be to sell it.
Personally, I didn't even worry about the options when I bought my 996--the only thing I wanted was heated seats. The car came with some silly options like painted crests on the wheels and crests in the headrest, neither of which means anything to me.

This is why rental car companies (mostly) have been buying their fleet vehicles with a modest amount of options - power windows, central locking, etc. While they could go on the cheap and get the stripped down "rental car" version for very basic transportation, they've found that at the end of the vehicle's useful life as a rental car, it was very difficult to unload these vehicles into a market where a majority of the same model vehicles had much better options for a reasonable price.
I think all the rentals have central locking and power windows because it's remarkably difficult to find a car without those options these days. Do they even still make manual roll-up windows?

I find it difficult to fathom that optioning "up" a Boxster S would make it feel like a "luxury boat" (did you get the captain's chairs? ;-) ) but to each their own. If you're looking for a pure sports car with little refinement in the way of creature comforts, may I suggest a Lotus Elise?
Agreed there. Unless you're specifying options that add a lot of weight to the car, I'm not sure how they would make the car feel less like a sports car.

Since you mentioned the Elise, I read a while back that Lotus made power windows standard on the Exige (?) because they're actually lighter than the manual windows now. I thought that was neat.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:05 PM
mbodo
Racer

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Since you mentioned the Elise, I read a while back that Lotus made power windows standard on the Exige (?) because they're actually lighter than the manual windows now. I thought that was neat.
now that is a bit of interesting trivia!

... oh and ..er yes, every now and again I get a rental car with manual locks and windows. I think the last time I rented from Avis in Chicago, this was the case.. and this was an "Intermediate" class vehicle.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Manual windows/locks vs. power windows/locks... Yes, the power versions...

Personally, I didn't even worry about the options when I bought my 996--the only thing I wanted was heated seats. The car came with some silly options like painted crests on the wheels and crests in the headrest, neither of which means anything to me.

I think all the rentals have central locking and power windows because it's remarkably difficult to find a car without those options these days. Do they even still make manual roll-up windows?

Agreed there. Unless you're specifying options that add a lot of weight to the car, I'm not sure how they would make the car feel less like a sports car.

can be lighter because the hardware only has to be strong enough to tolerate the power/force of whatever relatively low power selenoid/motor is used to close/open the windows or lock/unlock the locks.

With manual windows and door locks they have to be strong enough to not fail even when subjected to excessive force from a human.

No one would appreciate a light weight manual window if the first time someone cranked the window past its stop the handle or some other part of the mechanism broke from the force.

While power windows and locks require wiring some wiring and all that arises from this wiring already reside in the doors and adding 1 to maybe 2 feet of relatively light gage copper wire isn't going to make any difference to the car's performance.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:32 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default buy one used...

If depreciation is a huge factor may suggest buying a lighlty used 986? Unless the 08 has some certain huge changes that make the 08 a big step up from prior years? Just picked up a 05 997 with 15K miloes CPO's nicely optioned from dealer for 50,450.... window sticker original was 80K and the vehicle still has that new car smell.

Originally Posted by tmc
I'm about to order my third 987 Boxster S. Actually, ordering my second. I bought my first off the lot. It was black. Everyone needs to own a black car once and this was my turn.

The second Boxster S was loaded, loaded, loaded with options-- so much so that it just didn't feel like a sportscar, it felt like a luxury boat. I sold it.

So my question: what minimalist features are a must for a 987S Boxster and which are superfluous? Here's my list of required:

PASM
Sport Chrono
Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
Heated Front Seats
Bose Surround Sound System
NO PCM - I'll buy a Garmin for $400.

Did I get that right?

tmc
Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
If depreciation is a huge factor may suggest buying a lighlty used 986? Unless the 08 has some certain huge changes that make the 08 a big step up from prior years? Just picked up a 05 997 with 15K miloes CPO's nicely optioned from dealer for 50,450.... window sticker original was 80K and the vehicle still has that new car smell.
The asking price on 997s in my area is $60K+. Did you negotiate a huge discount or was the initial asking price in the $50s?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

2005 997-S models selling in the mid to high 60s in my research, base Carreras in the high 50s - yours is a terrific deal but may not be a realistic yard stick for others
Old 02-05-2008, 11:42 PM
equ
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris C.
2005 997-S models selling in the mid to high 60s in my research, base Carreras in the high 50s - yours is a terrific deal but may not be a realistic yard stick for others
+1.

The way to avoid depreciation is to not sell them people... Just hold on & enjoy.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:30 PM
DreadOpus
8th Gear

I've been researching the 987s out of Florida and the East Coast. I'm likely going to wait until late Summer here. It's a bit of a reverse convertible season in Florida and I expect there will be many more 05s coming onto the market between now and August.

I am seeing 05s in the mid $30s certified at the base level and S models in mid-$40s quite consistently. The best deal I have seen is an 05 with 45k miles for $28k, but not certified and not through a Porsche dealer. If I had my Cooper S sold and could get my vendors to pay up, I would probably jump on it. I do expect, you can get a base 05 for the low $30s by the end of this year and probably have a fair number to choose from.

I was building today on the Porsche site and made a nicely if somewhat spartanly equipped S for $63k and a Boxster for $57-60k depending on the paint. (I am a bit blind at night so I went with xenon, heated seats, leather power seats, sports chrono, 18" cayman wheels, and upgraded stereo on base, no Bose). But as the title of this thread suggests, for a second car, I can't justify watching $20k fall off a car before I put 10k miles on it.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:17 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by equ
+1.

The way to avoid depreciation is to not sell them people... Just hold on & enjoy.
Or buy them all used like I do. Personally, I can't even fathom buying a new Porsche--er, new anything--that's going to depreciate tens of thousands of dollars within two years when the same car is available on the used market for $30k or so, unless they made some outrageous changes to the Boxster that I'm not aware of. Finding one with the right options on the used market is also more fun than just picking them out of a book, at least to me.

Of course, it's actually self-defeating to mention this, as the only way I can buy 'em used is if someone buys it new, so ORDER AWAY!

BIG YMMV on the whole post...
Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 PM
akim47
Racer

Or buy them all used like I do. Personally, I can't even fathom buying a new Porsche--er, new anything--that's going to depreciate tens of thousands of dollars within two years when the same car is available on the used market for $30k or so, unless they made some outrageous changes to the Boxster that I'm not aware of. Finding one with the right options on the used market is also more fun than just picking them out of a book, at least to me.

Of course, it's actually self-defeating to mention this, as the only way I can buy 'em used is if someone buys it new, so ORDER AWAY!

BIG YMMV on the whole post...
+1... i will never buy a new car again... i sold my 06 lexus GS.. not even 2 years old for $19,000 less than I paid for it...

i've been lookin around for '05 997s and there are many in the $60K range, about $22-25K less than one they sold for the first time around, and im looking to get an even better deal in the $50Ks...
Old 02-09-2008, 01:17 PM
peakpro
AutoX

I'm another who will also not buy new...i like resaerching and finding what I want at a decent discount...
Old 07-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Palting
Must-haves, eh?

True answer, none. Anything else added is personal, and can be considered superfluous by others. Here's my opinion on what I consider must-haves from a personal standpoint, and what is not from your list.

PASM. Works well for tooling on the streets and the occasional DE/track drive. A great idea from Porsche, along with other great ideas.

Sport Chrono. Superfluous. Gives the "appearance" of better acceleration, but all it does is make the accelrator pedal reach full throttle at less than full throttle. Just step on the pedal more aggressively, put PASM on sport, and you get the same thing for no money.

Self-dim and rain sensor. Really? Nice, but superfluous.

BiXenons. Have then on the C4S, did not get them for the 987S. Halogens are excellent enough. Xenons are whiter and have that cool purple hue when seen head-on, but I don't see the big deal. May help with re-sale, though.

Heated front seats. Yup, need those. Helps extend the top down use a few degrees into colder weather.

Wind screen. Need these in conjuction with the heated seats to extend the use into colder weather. Allows for decent conversation even at speed with the top down and windows up. Added bonus of smal covered parcel shelf behind the seats for hats, gloves, etc..

Bose. Naah. Porsche radios suck, and the Bose doesn't add anything. I think it makes it worse. Have it on the C4S as part of the Advanced Technics package. Would not have ordered it alone.

Leave everything else stock. !8" wheels gve you more tire options, and you get better, more distinctive 19" wheels aftermarket should you want to have them. If you want hugging seats, keep the standard seats and save your money for the real-deal seats, GT3 euro seats.

Again, as always, that's just IMHO.

fantastic summary palting - what about this as an must have option:

S?

needless to say i am looking at moving the C4S into one of these.

Quick Reply: Fighting depreciation