Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New England Winter experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:26 PM
ag96
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New England Winter experiences?

Hi all,

About to buy a Cayman this week, but I was wondering if anyone had any ice/snow stories they could share. I would be using it as a daily driver in Boston area unless conditions were pretty bad.

I did a search, but I wanted to hear specifically from anyone who uses it as a DD in New England or the other northern states.

tire recs? was going to go w/ blizzaks
Thanks!
ag96
Old 12-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I generally won't take mine out in winter unless the roads are clean and dry. If you're going to drive in snow (and some people do), winter tires are an absolute must. Blizzaks are a good pure snow tire but are not great on dry roads. I have good experiences with Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on another car as an all-round winter tire. The M3's don't have the ultimate snow traction of the Blizzaks but are much better on dry roads.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:24 PM
ag96
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks John,

Do you keep it indoors b/c you're concerned with traction issues or b/c you have a different car you don't mind being stuck on I-90 with?
Thanks,
Mo
Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've drive my 996 C2 all winter long and I have driven a Cayman loaner in the snow.

Both cars work great as long as you have snow tires.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ag96
Thanks John,

Do you keep it indoors b/c you're concerned with traction issues or b/c you have a different car you don't mind being stuck on I-90 with?
I have another car (Saab 9-5) that is my primary winter transportation and it goes very well in snow. As long as I have that, I'll give my Cayman a break on lousy winter days.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Okv
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I bought mine to be used as DD and winter wagen.
Only drawback, at least until now, is that the car is too nice..

Tomorrow the winter tires will arrive, then it is just to wait for some more snow, and we will see how it performs.
So far, I have only good things to say about the handling in slippery conditons, and with the PSM it is plain idiot-proof too, and, unfortunately kind of boring.. hopefully this will improve dramatically with winter tires.

The summer tires on a Cayman are not useful on snow, I would actually say they are unsafe.
The problem is not to accelerate or avoid getting stuck, which is not directly dangerous, but you have to be able to stop and turn as well.

My inital plan was to have some REAL winter tires on, like Nokian Q or RSi, but, my car has PCCB and will not take wheels smaller than 18".. and that limits the available choice of tires to a few 'high-speed', hard-rubber pancakes.. but, we will see if they are useful.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Mines a year round daily driver/DE car, lives outside, etc. It's not a ski car (lowered) but with Pirelli Winter Sports and a Quaife, I get around.

Quick Reply: New England Winter experiences?