Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you run winter tires w/o TPM system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can you run winter tires w/o TPM system?

Hi guys, just doing some research for my brother. He may have to drive his 2006 Cayman S this winter, but we're trying to save a little money on the winter wheel / tire set-up. Is it possible to run the car w/o the tire pressure monitoring system over winter? I mean, mount some wheels and tires that don't have the sensors? Will that just mean a warning light all winter or will that screw up the system?

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:58 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you can run wheels without the TPMS sensors. No harm. However it will cause the warning lights and chimes on every start up and will result in the warning light staying lite the whole time. Just and FYI the sensors can be moved from his current wheels to the snows. Local dealership quoted me $100 to do the job (seemed cheap as it requires the dismount and mounting of the tires as the sensors are on the back side of the valve stem). Also Sunset Porsche in OR sells the set at cost +15% which equals about $390. If I remember you and/or your brother live in Northern IN....TireRack sells them for about $30 less.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

You can also have the TPM system disabled. This is commonly done on GT3 track cars.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks all. According to Tire Rack's website, they were currently out of them, which was another reason to ask if we can run w/o them. You're right Brian, Gregg lives in Niles, so he would just drive over and have them take care of everything...one stop shopping!

Hmm...maybe I should get him some of those cool tire carriers for Xmas? D'oh! You didn't read that Gregg!

Cheers..
Old 11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
bet
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
You can also have the TPM system disabled. This is commonly done on GT3 track cars.
Really? Who does it? I looked into this about a month ago and could not find an actual person who had had it done. A lot of theory on it can be done with the Porsche computer at the dealer. Local dealer said no it couldn't be done (which didn't mean anything) and even it could they would not do it for liability reasons. I would have loved to find someone to disable it because I have some 17" wheels I wanted to use but the TPMS doesn't support 17" wheels on the CS and I didn't want to live with the error all winter long.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Bet - the dealer CAN do it. First you disconnect the TPM module which on a GT3 is under the plastic cover on the driver's side bulkhead in the trunk. One the module has been disconnected, then (and only then) the PWIS computer will open a menu allowing the TMP system to be disabled. Whether your dealer will do it is another matter.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

you ppl are in luck

1: First you must actually disconnect the TPMS control unit so that the CAN Controller does not continue to recognize it. The control unit is located in the front trunk next to brake fluid reservoir. Remove and unplug the dome light on the cowling plastic. Remove all of the screws that hold this entire plastic panel in. There are a good number on top by the seal and one on each side by the bottom.

2: Now unplug the control unit it is part number 997 618 103 06, Do not remove it. This way you can always just plug it back it and use it again.

3. Reassemble the front trunk again.

4. Hook up the PIWIS tester to the car via the OBD2 port and do a complete check of all the control units.

5. Select "Gateway" and then "Coding" then ""Required Control Units List". This will list all installed CAN units.

6. Now select "Tire Pressure Monitoring System" and change to " Not Installed" and code it, then exit to the main screen again.

The next steps will code your instrument cluster and to do so will require that you have your engine number, so have it handy, you will find out why.

7. Select "Instrument Cluster" and then "Coding" then "Vehicle Variants".

8. Now select your "Model Year" then "Model", "Roof Version", "Country" (02 is for USA, Puerto Rico). The next item will be "Versions" (553 is USA/Canada).

9. Select your "Individual and exclusive equipment" by highlighting each item that would apply such as: 454-Cruise, 023-Silver Colored Gauge faces etc. DO NOT select 423/483 TPM!!!! This is the TPMS for the cluster and must not be highlighted.

10. Move to the next screen and finish the "Audio and Communication " by highlighting what applies to your car.

11. Next will be the "Wheel Size" and finally it will ask about your engine number.

12. Proceed forward and then Code with F8.

13. The final requirement is to disconnect the battery and reconnect it and drive a few hundred feet to set you angle sensor for the PSM.

That’s it and now TPMS is removed.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:36 AM
bet
Drifting

Damnit! where where was this stuff a month ago before I bought 18" wheels, tires and sensors

Mooty, Incredible information. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by bet
Damnit! where where was this stuff a month ago before I bought 18" wheels, tires and sensors

Mooty, Incredible information. Thanks!
i posted similar info on 9967gt3 board 2 months ago. you got to look harder
Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 AM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the on my C4S. I purchased the sensors from Sunset Porsche out of Oregon. sensor/valve stem for 92 dollars, installed them on the 18" rim myself. I almost bought them at Tirerack, but they were just as cheap at Sunset. Can't help you with the disable. Just know that the dash lights up when they are not sensing!!!

Quick Reply: Can you run winter tires w/o TPM system?