Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing springs

I just spent two hours removing a bunch of interior trim pieces so that my mechanic can have access to the rear strut towers tomorrow.

WHAT A PAIN IN THE ***! Why does Porsche make it so damn difficult to access the suspension???? I feel like I just disassembled the whole car.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

I had the Eibach lowering springs installed on my car yesterday. FYI, the front went from 27" to 25 1/2" and the rear went from 28" to 27 1/4" (and some settling is bound to occur over the next few weeks).
Old 11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is funny you mentions this. I changed the suspension on my 993 when I had it. I thought about doing the same on my 996 but it required a lot more disassembly. I was looking at the Cayman it looks like you have to strip the interior. Crazy.

So what do you think of the springs so far? Does your car have PASM?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Paul, how is the ride quality with the lowering springs? And how many labor hours did he(she?) charge to swap the springs?

BTW - I sold my C4S last weekend and ordered a Ruby Red Cayman with an early January build date. It will be a looong wait until February!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,
I'm no help with the spring question, but wanted to mention I ordered my cayman also and it seemed to take forever while I was waiting. It was worth it! Also, having the car and looking back on the wait it doesn't seem like it was so bad. Hang in there, it will be here soon.

Dave
'06 CS
Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bet
It is funny you mentions this. I changed the suspension on my 993 when I had it. I thought about doing the same on my 996 but it required a lot more disassembly. I was looking at the Cayman it looks like you have to strip the interior. Crazy.

So what do you think of the springs so far? Does your car have PASM?
Stripping out the interior trim was a major headache, but now that I've done it, it wouldn't be so bad next time.

The springs are a tiny bit stiffer, but over all, not much difference really. A bit less roll and lower center of gravity. I'm very happy with it. Looks WAAAAY better too. And I don't have PASM.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MarkinMD
Paul, how is the ride quality with the lowering springs? And how many labor hours did he(she?) charge to swap the springs?
Ride quality is very similar to stock - just a bit 'tighter'. I was charged $550 for the whole install (including alignment). It took about six hours, but that was mostly due to us talking and catching up on personal stuff. And the six hours doesn't include the time it took ME to take out and then reinstall all the interior trim (which would add another 2 or 3 hours).
Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Dave. I am not used to the waiting game. I bought the Boxster off the dealer lot the same day I first saw it. The CPO C4S was also on the lot. There is no immediate gratification in a build to order. But this car will be exactly what I want!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Boro
7th Gear

Thumbs up

We put the Eibach lowering springs on my wife's Cayman S with PASM. Looks better, ride not noticably stiffer, and we were able to get more neg camber all around. Car handles well on the track in SPORT mode. In standard mode does not feel "planted". We never had it on the track with standard springs. Hope that helps.
Tom
Old 11-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Dave DE
Racer

One thing I found to occupy myself while waiting (other than internet forums) was to buy stuff for the car I didn't have yet. Things like clear side markers, aspherical mirror, V1, & chrome lug bolts are a few ideas...
Old 11-15-2007, 07:54 AM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave DE
One thing I found to occupy myself while waiting (other than internet forums) was to buy stuff for the car I didn't have yet. Things like clear side markers, aspherical mirror, V1, & chrome lug bolts are a few ideas...
I intentionally did not order factory floor mats, so I will be ordering Lloyd's mats. I want the springs, too, but Wifey will have a fit if I spend any more...but aspherical mirrors are a safety item...hmmm...
Old 11-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Got Pics??
Old 11-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ray S
Got Pics??

Old 11-19-2007, 01:13 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Paul,

The Cayman scrapes quite a bit as is. How is that after lowering? Are you scarpping all over the place?

That's my only reservation about lowering it.

Thanks.

CP
Old 11-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CP
Paul,

The Cayman scrapes quite a bit as is. How is that after lowering? Are you scraping all over the place?
I actually didn't notice any scraping before, but now I definitely need to be careful when entering most driveways. The front ended up being about 1.5" lower. I think 1" would have been enough.

Most of the scraping is from those plastic flaps in front of the wheels though, and they should be pretty easy to replace when they wear down (if they're anything like the ones I had on my 996).

Quick Reply: Installing springs