Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.2 vs 3.4 Boxster S Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Triblack987S
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having owned an '05 987S since new and having previously owned an '01 M Roadster with the 3.2 IL 6 I can say the Bimmer was quicker to 60 and had more torque. 1/4 mi times were only a couple of 1/10's better with the M. I briefly considered selling my '05 and purchaseing a new '07 Cayman S or Boxster S to get the 3.4L but decided to wait until '09 or '10 when the direct injection and another HP increase comes down the pike. I also find the 3.4 marginally more robust, with the emphasis on marginally.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triblack987S
Having owned an '05 987S since new and having previously owned an '01 M Roadster with the 3.2 IL 6 I can say the Bimmer was quicker to 60 and had more torque. 1/4 mi times were only a couple of 1/10's better with the M. I briefly considered selling my '05 and purchaseing a new '07 Cayman S or Boxster S to get the 3.4L but decided to wait until '09 or '10 when the direct injection and another HP increase comes down the pike. I also find the 3.4 marginally more robust, with the emphasis on marginally.
Thanks. This helps. I noticed this too, when I test-drove a 2005 987. The slight dip in torque at ~4000 rpm was a bit disappointing. I guess this in part due to the 2-stage resonance intake? There's no dip in torque with the BMW 3.2-L S52 as you know. Sounds like the 987 3.4-L is the way to go--or perhaps the direct-injected version (of course this will be more $$ )
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

There will always be a newer car with more Hp and upgraded features. Jump in with a car you like in the price range you need. There is nothing really lacking in the 3.2 987S motor...you only notice the difference in torque with an Mz4 or 3.4 when you drive back to back. You won't be dissappointed with the 3.2 if that's in your proce range - and they are a great value. 0 to 60 is not what a Boxster is about, nor a 911 for that matter - it's about balance and poise, cornering and braking. .2 seconds to 60 is not worth worrying about. Buy a nice car and upgrade to the newer technology in a few years.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Car
Mid and rear engined cars suffer little from lack of an LSD. The Boxster would be little faster around a track with an LSD. It's not at all like the M3 would be without an LSD. I've competed in a 986S and 997S and can't say I ever worried about tirespin; issues like understeer, tire pressure, and the like were higher priorities.
That's simply ridiculous. They suffer greatly without an LSD. Period. Porsche should stop artificially limiting the Boxster's potential by leaving it out.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:15 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
That's simply ridiculous. They suffer greatly without an LSD. Period. Porsche should stop artificially limiting the Boxster's potential by leaving it out.
The guys I've talked to say the LSD (or lack of one) only is a problem with very tight turns--but for the most part they don't notice NOT having an LSD?
Originally Posted by Chris C.
There will always be a newer car with more Hp and upgraded features. Jump in with a car you like in the price range you need. There is nothing really lacking in the 3.2 987S motor...you only notice the difference in torque with an Mz4 or 3.4 when you drive back to back. You won't be dissappointed with the 3.2 if that's in your proce range - and they are a great value. 0 to 60 is not what a Boxster is about, nor a 911 for that matter - it's about balance and poise, cornering and braking. .2 seconds to 60 is not worth worrying about. Buy a nice car and upgrade to the newer technology in a few years.
Yes--you're right. I really like the 2007 model, so I may just wait until I have more in savings to put down toward the used car loan
Old 01-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
+1

I have a supecharged M3 also. The Boxster S, or Porsche engines for that matter, have a "dip" in torque somewhere between 3k and 4k rpms. Their tq curve looks like the letter "M" whereas the tq curve on the BMW engines are flat (i.e. = no dip in tq).

Quick Reply: 3.2 vs 3.4 Boxster S Engines?