Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s compared to Boxster..more then you think.. !

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

I chose my 987s over a 911 and 911S on a back to back drive romp throught a closed office park - long sweepers and tight ones from 50-70 mp - a course I drove moments before in my then traded E46 M3 cab. The Boxster was more fun, more stable - ear to ear grins. Love the 911S, but if I hadn't learned to drive 911s on the track I'd have to say I wouldn't have thought the car's handling was up to it's reputation. The base 911 was nowhere near the same driving fun, cab or coupe.

Bought the car off the dealer's lot, not something I am prone to do...it's that great. I'll still move into a 911 coupe in a few years though when I'm ready for a sunroof coupe again, but I couldn't agree more that the 987 is a true bargain! (Now if they really do put 330hp in the Boxster that day may never come!)

Similar to you Putt-Putt, I used the $30K I saved to buy an X5 for a daily driver and shield car.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
..Similar to you Putt-Putt, I used the $30K I saved to buy an X5 for a daily driver and shield car.
Chris, love the guards red with beige interior on your Boxster. What color is the X5?

Our Boxster is White with beige, cocoa top, and 19" Carrera Classics. The 335i coupe is titanium silver, black/walnut on the inside.

We also have a Land Rover LR3 (awesome to drive).

Yeah.. I just can't get enough of what I don't need.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:54 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts
Talking Lets be rational about this

I bought My 987 S new a year and a half ago and sold my beloved SC and started tracking the Boxster this spring. Needless to say one thing starts leading to another and I was wanting to do things to enhance my track experience and keep up with the 997's that leave you on any type of straight line accelaration. I even thought of Buying a 997S and trading the Boxster. But I would still have the fear of wading up a beautiful car. So I did what any rational person would do. I kept the boxster as my garage queen and bought an F class club racing 911sc with super trapps that rattle teeth all around the glen and if I wad it up I just find another tub. The F class car is a blast.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

Putt- Putt - the X5 is a 4.4 sport in custom ordered Estoril blue on grey...the color is awesome on the X, always wanted an M3 this hue. It's a fun and fast commuter and with the heat in Tucson these days (moved recently) I am not driving the Boxster a lot - not as much enticement with the roof up!

I have to go drive the 335...everyone says its near perfect for a sport coupe.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Putt- Putt - the X5 is a 4.4 sport in custom ordered Estoril blue on grey...the color is awesome on the X, always wanted an M3 this hue. It's a fun and fast commuter and with the heat in Tucson these days (moved recently) I am not driving the Boxster a lot - not as much enticement with the roof up!

I have to go drive the 335...everyone says its near perfect for a sport coupe.
Nice X5..

Yeah, the Boxster's a night cruiser in AZ.

If you can, clock some 335i miles. Don't let the luxury fool you. It's a sports car. It grips like heck. It smooths the road. Doesn't make sense.. how can this car be so good?

I've had 4 Porsche's and know how they can become an extension of the driver. The E92's no different.

Putt-Putt (Scottsdale, AZ)
Old 08-24-2007, 04:12 AM
flash80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ncsustats
I actually liked the boxster open air experience so much that it created enough doubt for me to remove myself from a number-one '08GT3 allocation I was holding.
What?!?! That's a serious endorsement for the 987! GT3 is so sweet.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:02 AM
opus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ncsustats, why not get the GT3 and the 987?

Quick Reply: 997s compared to Boxster..more then you think.. !