Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Boxster S needs front camber

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 AM
wambo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 Boxster S needs front camber

I have a (stock) 2006 987S that I track occasionally. With track use, the front OEM Pilot Sport 2s (19") wear very rapidly on the outside shoulder, due to inadequate negative camber. I've maxed out the stock suspension to about -1 degrees. I need about -2.5 or so, according to friends and Michelin. I have the PASM option, which may complicate matters. Has anyone tried any changes to achieve more front negative camber, such as GT3 control arms, in a car with PASM? I have been told a local shop (Body Motion) does a great job with 987Ss, but I don't want anyone using my car as a test platform to see if they can modify a PASM suspension. I'd like to know that someone else succeeded first.... Any data?

Thanks!

-W

Incidentally: In order to get more than 1 day of track use out of the tires, I just switched to Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions. They do NOT carry an N rating, but they stood up to the track use far better than the PS2s. They lack the ultimate dry grip that the Michelin achieve, and I suspect I lost a couple of seconds a lap at Pocono, but they are very progressive and lots of fun to push around in the slower corners. If I could get the wear pattern settled, I'd grudgingly switch back to PS2s (I'm still sore about the F1 race I travelled to see), but in the interim, these are fine tires for the car. Be sure to break them in before hard use, though, as they stiffened up substantially after about 700 miles of heat cycling.

Last edited by wambo; 07-04-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

You can elongate the slots which control camber and get around neg 1.5 to 1.7 degrees. Other than that you have to change to mounts with adjutable camber plates.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:24 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

wambo, Although I am little more than a green run group gremmie I have 9000 miles and three track days on my 18" ps2's on my 987s and still have plenty of life in them. BTW I had a more track friendly Alignment done at Bodymotion. Big difference!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 PM
wambo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mussberger-

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I have replaced the front tires 3 times, each being required after a two day track event. The outside edge of the fronts were worn to the cords. Although it would suggest that I was simply understeering around the track, this is not the case. Several different instructors (I was in blue then) agreed that the driving style was not suspect. A different shop adjusted the suspension for me for the track with minimal improvement in tire wear. The fourth set of front tires are now the Bridgestones.

Incidentally, is your 987s a PASM-equipped car?

Thanks again!

-W
Old 07-04-2007, 08:52 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

The PS2s have very soft sidewalls; you're going to have to get a lot of negative camber to keep the sidewalls from rolling over. Even with about -1.8 up front on my 05S (PSS9s and camber plates), I can still shred the shoulders on them. My MPSCs are wearing very evenly and now I only track the PS2s in the rain, and that's still pretty hard on them.

I hear that PASM cars are a bear to do suspension work, and there are few shops who can do it well. Maybe a tire with a stiffer sidewall is a better solution. The upfront expense of a second set of wheels and the tires is high, but now I'm buying tires a lot less frequently. Plus I don't have to buy new tires immediately if I trash a set at the track.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:02 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Mambo-

No PASM. But I tend to be on the high side of tire pressures. Stll learning what works.

Quick Reply: 06 Boxster S needs front camber