Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems w/ Bose Surround?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:47 PM
eonflux
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Problems w/ Bose Surround?

I just picked up a new '06 base Boxster, w/ a Bose Surround system. With the Surround feature on, the volume and distribution of sound seems to randomly, and excessively, change. Very annoying. This occurs whether or not the Auto Pilot feature is turned on. And this occurs w/ the FM stereo or CD player.

Would appreciate it if others could provide some comments about their experience w/ the Bose surround stereo.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:44 PM
narbeh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant help you, but just curious how much that cost you
Old 07-03-2007, 05:43 PM
eonflux
Advanced

Are asking about the cost of the Surround? It was part of a Preferred Package. I don't know the actual individual item cost.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:23 PM
cobaltbxtr
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2006 Boxster S w/ the Premium Bose package and I haven't had any problems. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:24 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

The only time I've had any issues like this were with very weak stations and multipath interference. The system is trying to do what the old Dolby Pro-Logic systems did by analyzing the phase differences between the left and right channels and extract front center and surround sound information from those channels. Multipath distortion comes from reflections off bulidings and structures nearby and distorts the waveforms received by the radio and hence the surround sound extraction.

Are there lots of buildings, power lines, poles or other structures where you experience this problem? It could be just a limitation of analog radio broadcasting in your area. If you're on top of a hill and the radio station is nearby then I'd say you have a problem with your radio.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:54 PM
eonflux
Advanced

Thanks for the input.

Update:
I took the car to the dealer, and they replaced a control unit of some type in a rear (?) amplifier. Since then, I've only noticed 2 times that sound from the rear cuts out. This used to happen frequently. What's odd is that one would expect a component replacement to either fully fix the problem or not do anything. Partial remedy doesn't really make sense.

Another question for you all:
When you select "RP" for the CD player, does your player stay in random mode later when you start up the car? Most of the time, the CD player seems to stay in the mode I last left before shutting down, but this isn't consistent, which is also odd.

Quick Reply: Problems w/ Bose Surround?